Maternity Leave Blues

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by RugRats, Jul 30, 2009.

1. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 30, 2009

Anyone else in my shoes? I thought being out the beginning of school would be so much easier...

Now I'm just a ball of stress because I've suddenly realized I won't be there to get them into the swing of things. I have an AWESOME sub, but she doesn't know my procedures, behavior management, rules, etc. I've tried writing everything down, but you KNOW something gets lost in translation.

Ugh! I'm due Monday or I'd seriously consider waddling into school next week to help her get things started.

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 30, 2009

I feel your pain! I'm due about a month after school starts. I'm hoping to be there for a month to get things started, but I have to face the reality that I might end up on bed rest or someone might want to show up early. The thought of that sent me into a panick last week!

Congratulations!

4. prek176

prek176 Companion

Jul 31, 2009

I can relate to your situation. My baby arrived at the end of July and I had decided to take the month of Sept. off. My mom was kind enough to watch my baby so that I could "pop" into school occasionally to check things out in my preschool class. I found that even with directions my sub did a LOT of things her way. When I went back in Oct. I had to straighten out some things and reteach things my way. (She was so pleased with herself for breezing through the alphabet in one month. I had told her that I do a letter a week with activities focusing on that letter.)In hindsight I probably would have left a very specific plan book with detailed instructions. I also would have spent more time with her so that she would have understood more clearly where I was coming from, my philosophies and my management style. If at all possible I would plan to stop in to visit especially the first day or two to get YOUR routine established with the kids. (My leave was unpaid but I felt it was worth my time to go in for visits.) Good luck to you. Enjoy your time with your baby! Although I know it will be hard try not to worry about school while you are home. Your time will go by way too quickly and things at school can always get straightened out later on.

5. RugRats

RugRats Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Congratulations to you as well Teacherpippi!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 31, 2009

Big picture:

Your top priority is now your baby. Your class will be fine. The sub will manage just fine, and you can change whatever you need to when you return to work.

But for the duration of your maternity leave, don't think of school. Concentrate on stealing whatever sleep you can. Take care of yourself and your new baby.

Congrats to both of you on your upcoming arrivals!

7. mrsfroggey

mrsfroggey Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I'm the oppisite. I made it through the end of the year (all but the 2nd half of the day on the last day of school. I had my son in June, and am going back to work at the begining of the yr in 2 weeks. I have blues about having to leave him for the first time.

8. teach12

teach12 Companion

Aug 3, 2009

Congratulations!! As we all know, the thought of missing the beginning of the school year can be stressful, but all I can say is DON'T WORRY about it...when your baby gets here that is all you are going to care about. Don't even think about school because before you know it you will have to go back and leave your little one. My son was just born May 1st, so I missed the last 6 weeks of school (totally different than missing the beginning, I know) but I still didnt like the thought of giving up my classroom to someone else...but honestly I could have cared less once the time came. All I cared about was my little man....and of course trying to sleep any free moment I had! :) I am now trying to deal with starting school and having to take him to daycare...

Your sub will be fine, and probably will do things you won't like....but you will not be gone forever and you can worry about your class once you get back. Nothing is more important than your time with your baby!

9. Doublescoop

Doublescoop Companion

Aug 10, 2009

Relax and enjoy your baby! I went back last April after being off for a year with the same concerns you have. It went FINE! The kids were very eager and willing to do a few things differently than their first teacher. In fact, I think they enjoyed changing things up a bit. As long as YOU are consistent with what you want, it won't be a problem