Maternity Leave at Beginning of School Year

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Mrs. Mom, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Apr 30, 2007

I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who will miss the beginning of the next school year due to a maternity leave? Or maybe someone who has been there, done that? I am due August 15th...school is scheduled to begin August 16th! I don't really know what to expect while I am out....once my lesson plans are finished and turned in to the office, how involved should I be? I will only be out about 5-6 weeks, but we will move into a brand new building in August, right before school starts, so I'm already feeling like I am going to really be "out of the loop." Part of me wants to work actively with my sub during those weeks, while another part of me wants to turn everything over to him/her and just enjoy being home with a new baby! Any advice?

3. ozteach

ozteach Comrade

Apr 30, 2007

Wow! I would enjoy the few weeks you're going to have - they'll go so fast. Spend the time getting your new baby sorted out - feeding, sleeping etc and let the sub sort out your classroom. Although school may seem all encompassing at the moment, I'm pretty sure it will fade significantly once your baby arrives!

Having said that, I don't think having the first few weeks off is going to be problematic for your class. Usually, there's no testing or anything happening then, just settling in and getting routines established, all of which can be worried about when you come back. I would leave it all to the sub.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 30, 2007

Congratulations!!

You are going to be running on empty for a good part of those 5-6 weeks-- both of my daughters needed to be fed every 2 1/2 hours at the beginning. (Yes, that includes nighttime.) So you're TIRED. Once you get past that, I suggest you enjoy the fall weather and your new child, and let the sub do her job.

Be as involved as you want in August, before the baby arrives-- go to the new building, set up & decorate your classroom, find your way around. If the baby hasn't arrived on time (many first babies don't) go in and teach if you want. (I taught the full day before my daughter was born. I went into labor that night, and by the time school started she was here!)

But don't count on being in school much during your maternity leave. The kids will adapt just fine.

5. Mrs. Mom

Mrs. Mom Cohort

Apr 30, 2007

I'm hoping that the dr. will induce me a week early, my nurse practitioner thinks that is a good possibility. The big problem is going to be setting up my classroom. Our admin. says that the building may not be finished for us to be able to go into and work in our classrooms until just days before the start of school. SOOOOO.....there is a possibility that I either won't be able to set up my own room OR that I will have to do it within the same few days as having a baby. UGH.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2007

FIRST ALL CONGRATS on baby!!!

My sub actually came to my house...though it was during the school year. She also asked if she could call with any questions...and I said of course. I believe she called once or twice. Like the others do what you can before & worry about the baby.

Also be prepared early for baby too. I was actually going to have a long weekend and was going to get ready for the hospital & wash baby clothes...all that fun stuff....NOPE baby came early!!!! Nothing was done not even a bag packed!!!!

7. lcr

lcr Companion

Apr 30, 2007

I am also due around the beginning of next school year. I am taking off 3 months and I plan on enjoying every minute I can with my baby. I will be leaving plans for a week, mapping out the three months for the sub, and going over the curriculum materials with her. I'll leave my number if she has any questions. I do feel a little worried about next year and I hope everything goes smoothly when I get back!

8. dillpickle

dillpickle Rookie

Apr 30, 2007

I had my first son last July 26. I decided to take the whole year off. Our school started the beginning of August. I was looking for a new job and knew that nobody wanted to hire this big pregnant lady that would be taking the beginning of the year off so I said to heck with it and stayed home. I've enjoyed every minute of it BUT I'm ready to go back to work. I would say leave detailed plans as to what to do each day. Make sure you leave all necessary procedures she/he should know and be able to tell students about. Just leave anything that you know YOU would tell the students and their parents at the beginning of school. I might also get a roster of your class and write the parents a lettter stating that you will be out on maternity leave, but their child will be in capable hands...blah, blah. You know what to say. Just so they will be expecting to have a teacher change within the first few weeks of school. I would NOT stress about what she's doing in your room. IF she has a problem she'll call you and then you can deal with it. Until then, sit back and enjoy snuggling your new baby. 5-6 weeks is not a very long time AT ALL! You will want to cherish that time and not worry about school stuff. Good Luck!! OOOOHHH...take your husband to your room and make him move around furniture and stuff. I'm sure other teachers in your building wouldn't mind lending a hand as well. Just decorate with the basics and worry about other stuff later. Do you know any creative high schoolers that wouldn't mind coming with you one day and doing your bulleton board while you're running copies for the sub or something like that???

9. Mrs LC

Mrs LC Comrade

May 1, 2007

I guess it depends on the system you are in, but there's no way I would even let school cross my mind when home with a newborn - trust the sub to be professional and do their job. Your baby is for life and your relationship with it and your hubby is far more important.

I can't even imagine going back to work so soon - but then my firstborn arrived 14 days late and I took 7 years off after that!