maternity leave and long term sub

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by minnie, Jul 30, 2009.

1. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

When getting a long term sub during maternity leave, how exactly do you do it. I don't know exactly when I'm going to need time off so does the school call the sub the day before she is needed. How long do you make plans for the sub...the whole six weeks? How detailed are they? Does the sub come in a few times before to see how your routine goes? Sorry for all of the questions but I have no idea how this works. :blush:

3. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

:anyone: Someone's had to have gone through this...right?

4. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jul 30, 2009

When I was subbing in public school, the teacher would call me and see if we can work something up for the entire time she was gone..

If you have not had a sub you like, I would ask around and see if anyone could recommend someone.

When I went on leave, the sub shadowed me for 1 week, should have been 2, but baby came early... But I work in a private school and that is a bit different.

As far as the lesson plans go, it depends on how much you trust the person coming in. When I went on maternity leave, I left plans for 2 weeks. The sub needs to work the rest out for themselves while I was gone.

Hope this helps.

5. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 30, 2009

I was just a maternity leave teacher.

I started April 20th, I shadowed the teacher for two weeks because the 2nd week was testing so they asked me to come in early to learn her routine.

I was in through the end of the year.

I got the job in January, so they told me about it long before I started.

I didn't have any plans, I did all the planning by myself.

Hope I helped.

6. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Thank you! Hopefully, my sub will be able to shadow me for at least a week. And I hope that whoever I get will be able to do some of the lesson plans. Laying out lesson plans for six weeks sounds exhausting! I am going to start asking and looking around now for someone who can take over for awhile. Once again, thanks for the advice. :)

7. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Where I was at the teacher had no say in who was coming in. I'm sure it may be different wherever you may be.

I doubt you would have to do all of the planning though. I was paid like a teacher, so I did everything a teacher would do.

8. Irma

Irma Companion

Jul 31, 2009

Last year, one of the teachers on my team took leave at beginning of school. I met with the sub throughout the summer and she was considered part of the team. We planned together, etc. The teacher on leave did not have to do any planning because I was there to help the sub (I'm lead teacher).

9. princessa48

princessa48 Companion

Jul 31, 2009

The last time I was on maternity leave was in April of 06. I ended up staying out until the end of the year, as it didn't make since to come back in for just the last week. I was able to play an integral role in who would be coming in for me, and we made that decision in Jan/Feb. That really made me feel at ease. My sub shadowed me for one week (my lesson plans) and after that, she was on her own (although I was still in contact with her a few days a week).

We're planning for a Spring/Summer baby of 2010, so I'm hoping everything goes as smoothly as last time :)

10. minnie

minnie Cohort

Jul 31, 2009

Wow! I'm sure the teacher who took maternity leave LOVED you!

11. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

i just talked to my principal about this today...she asked me if i wanted anyone in particular, i gave her three names that i felt would do a good job...the first lady being the one who subbed while I had my first baby last year...as far as lesson plans, i planned everything out for them, but i'm in a private school so we go by lesson 1, lesson 2, etc in our curriculum with less than 5 "extra" days at the end of school so we have to keep up and not really go at the students pace, they are kinda forced to move faster than they should be at times, anyway, whoever the sub will be will come in and we will just talk about what I want her/him to do...nobody shadowed me last time and no one will this time either...if you do plan everything out for your sub don't be surprised if it doesn't get done...when i got back from first baby maternity leave they were 2 weeks behind in history and a few days behind in everything else...she brought in extra stuff like movies and newspaper articles, etc, which was great and great for the kids, but we have to finish the curriculum no ifs, and or buts

12. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Jul 31, 2009

I have a maternity leave coming up in October, and my P asked me who I wanted to have. If a teacher in our district doesn't know of any subs they want, they hold interviews for the long term sub position. In our district, you are asked to leave 1 week of plans, but since I've had the whole summer, I have written up plans for each subject that should last the length of my leave. We only get them to 'shadow' us for one day! Not long enough!

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 31, 2009

Minnie,
    You really need to check with your district -- someone in the district office will be able to explain it to you -- because it is so very different in each district. In ours, there is NO overlap in time. If you request someone, and they are available AND on your principal's approved LTS list, then they will get it. If not, you don't even get the chance to meet the person who will take over in our district. Usually, if you go out unexpectedly (like before your planned time) your kids will have a day-to-day sub for 1 or 2 days until they get the LTS lined up. If you go out on a planned time frame, then it is all arranged ahead of time, but it isn't unheard of for the LTS you planned on using to get stuck in their last assignment (the teacher can't return to work as planned) and then your kids get somebody else at the last minute.

We are required to leave only 1 week's lesson plans along with detailed directions on rules and routines, and a copy of the pacing guide. After that, it is up to the LTS to do the plans. They give a 1 day overlap when you come back for the LTS to explain things to you (but this often doesn't happen because the LTS will get pulled for a new job.) If report cards come due while you are gone, that is also up to the LTS so you have to leave your password to your online gradebook.

It works differently at most districts. You need to call your own to get the specifics.

14. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2009

I think it depends on your district's curriculum. We have very rigid curriculum and pacing guides. I think doing a week's worth of plans, making your procedures VERY clear and setting up a way that the sub can communicate with you (without burdening you with daily updates while you are on leave) is what would be best. If there is set curriculum she/he should be able to follow that.

I'll be out the first trimester on leave (hoping to make it in the 1st week) and will be sharing my lesson plan template (in MS Word) with my sub and asking her to use that. I want her to email the plans to me the week before as well as the grades so that I can make sure things are being covered for my return.

15. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 1, 2009

I think it DEPENDS on the teacher and the district. I know there are some that the teacher plans for TOTALLY...but others...the teacher is OFF-and is not expected to lift a finger about ANYTHING.

I interviewed for a LTS job..and I was saying how I would keep in touch with the teacher..and how since teacher/parent conferences were one week into the assignment- how i would be there with the teacher for those...and the principal gave me a look like...are you NUTS? "Why would the teacher return for those???" Gee...I don't know..because they are discussing what happened for months BEFORE I came!

As a sub who is WILLING to be a long term sub... I am willing and ABLE to do all the planning myself. But I would feel better if it WERE a team effort (the leaving teacher and I). As a mom, I think that is the best transition for the students (my child)...though as a teacher who also left to have a baby..it IS nice not to worry about getting school stuff done while concentrating on my baby.

A lot might depend on if you are coming back within the school year. Remember...if you ARE... you have to "clean up" what they left behind...so make sure what the sub leaves is where you want the kids to be.

I taught music..and I wasn't coming back that school year. I thought I could wrap up MY lessons and let him do the units he saw fit for the last month. This guy wasn't a teacher-he was a studio/gig musician. (he was the brother of a VERY famous radio personality in Chicago..and I think the principal -who was a HUGE fan of his brother's - hoped that the brother would become some sort of pal of hers if she hired the guy.) He was also a bulls**t artist. His units dealt with writing and making commercials. the kids were SO excited! The school families were THRILLED! He even had huge write-ups in the local newpapers about what an outstanding "teacher" he was and how LUCKY the school was to nab this gem. (Talk about worrying if you would even have a job to return too. Teachers were sending me the newspaper write-ups with notes attached saying -> "you had better come in to show your face before this guy steals your job!")

So he "films" the kids and gets them all excited...but then says... "OOOOooops we are running out of time this year. I'll tell you what. I'll produce these commercials, give them to your teacher, and you will be able to view them when you return in the fall."

And.... nothing. Not a word, not a tape..no reasoning, no nothing. I came back to a HUGE mess! Tears. Hurt feelings. Newspapers calling to write follow-ups. Parents coming in to complain- like it was my fault. But mostly... I had to teach the children...(keep in mind, a music teacher never gets rid of a class-they just come back older)...that sometimes people don't keep their word. And that THAT is a sad reality. Then I had to deal with the anger and betrayal the kids felt towards him.

I know you won't have to deal with anything like that....but sometimes.. you DO have to clean up the crap left behind.

Personally... I think it's best way is to work TOGETHER with your sub. Ultimately, YOU are responsible to your kids for what happens over the course of the year.