maternity leave almost over and some ?'s

Discussion in 'General Education' started by AMK, Dec 1, 2011.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Dec 1, 2011

I am headed back on Jan 3rd from my maternity leave. I know some of the parents b/c I had their previous children. All of the parents are aware that I am returning so it is no surprise. But some really aren't understanding this concept of my sub leaving (becoming an aid in a classroom) and me returning.

I have met the kids and will be going in December to read to them. The 1st few days I am allowed to kinda go off the curriculum so I can get to know the kids.

My sub is my former student teacher and has been wonderful. She really kept a lot of the samethings that I did/do in place so it's an easy transition.

Do I send home a letter to the parents in Jan?
    What are somethings I can do with the kids when I head back?
    Do I get my sub and aid a present for everything? They are wonderful ladies.

ANY advice would be appreciated to make this an easy transition for me. I cry everytime thinking of leaving my baby.

P.S I teach kindergarten

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Dec 1, 2011

I had a great sub during my last maternity leave. She had been a long term sub the year before when those kids were in 3rd grade, so she already knew them, and had great rapport.

I couldn't decide what I should do, until someone gave me the advice of a letter of recommendation. I did so, knowing that she was moving to Texas with her new husband shortly after. It was perfect. As your sub seems to already have a job, not sure how much this helps you.

I didn't get my first maternity leave sub anything. Never even occured to me to do so. Follow your heart.

4. Blkjacq

Blkjacq Companion

Dec 2, 2011

I'm with ya! I go back to work on Dec 12. I hate that I have only 1 more week left with my little one, but she's my third, so I've been through it all before. I know she'll be OK. :)

I did start the school year as their teacher, so I guess my situation is a bit different. I got my sub a gift card to her favorite restaurant and a nice card thanking her for letting me take my leave and enjoy my time off without worrying about work.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 3, 2011

I wrote a letter to my parents before I went on leave (it wasn't from the beginning of the year). I would definitely write a letter and include all your contact information.

I would spend some time getting to know your students. Use some of your first day of school activities that you didn't get to use.