Materials for Centers

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by hopefulteacher, Jul 16, 2006.

1. hopefulteacher

hopefulteacher Rookie

Jul 16, 2006

Hello all,
    I am a new teacher who will teaching kindergarten...I have pretty much no materials for centers. What can you suggest I buy or make in order to have some materials for centers! Thanks!

3. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Jul 16, 2006

Garage sales are a must! Buy old sets of Legos, blocks, puzzles, beads, craft items, buttons, etc. Muffin tins are great for sorting.

Old cards and stationary sets are great for writing centers. Add colorful pens, colored pencils, and clip boards and they love to write.

I recycled one of those beaded seat covers (a friend was throwing it away.) I spray painted the beads all different colors and I have all the beads I can use!

Old typewriters and adding machines are a lot of fun, too. Kids love them.

Good luck, Brenda

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 16, 2006

Dowel rods with interesting erasers or other items for reading the room. You can also get fun sun glasses for them to use. Books on tape (you could tape yourself reading) for a listening center. ABC magnets, puzzles, sewing cards, dice, matching games, pvc whisper phones. Dollar stores are wonderful places to find center materials. Good luck!!

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 17, 2006

Oriental Trading has really cute erasers of different shapes to sort, etc. and they aren't very expensive. You can get assortments of buttons, craft foam letters at Wal-Mart, or even dye pasta different colors. I see things everywhere that I think "hey, the kids can use those" - I just bought plastic silverware at the grocery store. They were different colors and had different animals on the end. I figure there would be several different ways they can sort or graph them.