Materials for a NEW classroom...

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by BeccaK, Apr 7, 2008.

1. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Apr 7, 2008

I am a first year teacher and I will be getting a classroom that has never been used before. I am trying to come up with a list of materials that I will need to order/buy/make/etc. to be prepared...I will appreciate any ideas you guys can give me. Thanks again!!

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Apr 7, 2008

books, books and more books (a leveled library depending on what reading program you might use as well as guided reading books)
    Baskets of some sort to organize the books
    math manipulatives (base tens, geoboards, counting bears, rulers etc.)
    Games etc. for indoor recess
    Small whiteboards for word play
    Clipboards?
    Scissors
    Something to display your schedule in
    AN EASEL for charts/morning message etc. (I suggest the Weasle-- it's awesome....)
    A carpet for meeting area
    Calendar wall materials (calendar, straws, etc.)
    You'll probably want a file cabinet
    Folders
    Markers
    Crayons
    Glue
    Construction paper
    writing paper

That's all I can muster right now but I'll probably be back... :) Hope that helps a little bit.

4. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Apr 7, 2008

bookshelves
    conference table (kidney or horseshoe)
    desks/tables - decide which you prefer students to use
    cubby box system for each student's materials & books
    Does the room have a large whiteboard? If not, you'll want one!
    pillows, bean bags or comfy pads for reading corner
    Pull down screen for overhead projection (whiteboards tend to blind certain students with light bulb glare.
    pocket charts
    Additional counters and/or tables for computer workstations (if you will have one for students)
    A GOOD teacher's chair

Congrats on your first teaching assignment! I will be moving to a never been used room next year too and I've been pouring through magazines and websites compiling my wish list. I know I won't get it all, but I'm going to prioritize and hope for the most! :)

5. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Apr 8, 2008

Make sure you go to scholastic.com. Theyre having their dollar deals right now and you can get lots of things like stickers, folders, name tags, charts, etc. for cheap. Good way to start. I'm sure everything has been mentioned but this is what I think you need.

Books- You def. need to have some sort of your own classroom library. I know buying them on yer own can be expensive so make sure you check out places like Goodwill. Youll always add to it anyway.
    Math manipulatives- (as mentioned above) besides things to count/sort, it's also nice to have a Judy clock and a classroom set of clocks. Teaching those things is nicer when they can do hands on instead of just worksheets.
    Small dry erase boards- I use these for mid week spell checks and also for reviewing
    Tons and tons of glue, markers, crayons, scissors, construction paper, etc.
    Plenty of folders
    Zip lock baggies
    Clorox wipes.. :)
    Tons of writing paper
    Tissues :)
    Games/toys for inside play
    Toys/stickers/pencils/candy for a goodie box or whatever kind of reward thing you want to have

I would get a subscription to Teacher's Helper too..great magazine!
    Also, make sure you look at your curriculum and buy literature and resource materials on what you will be teaching.

6. BeccaK

BeccaK Companion

Apr 8, 2008

Thank you soooo very much for all of your help guys! This will definitely help me in gathering my materials. If you come up with anything else please let me know! Thanks again guys!!

7. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

Apr 10, 2008

Pocket charts are a must! They can be used for anything and everything. Also get tons of crayons. I feel like my little ones eat them for snack- they go through them so quickly! You can never have too many books, stickers, paper, writing journals, tubs or baskets for organizing, magnets (to hold things on your chalk/white boards), also a good idea to have a dust pan and broom for all the little spills (like glitter!). Good luck and congrats!:woot:

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 10, 2008

Is there a possible way to get a list of what will be provided for you? If you can get a hold onto that list that would be a starting point for you. That way you wouldn't be doubling what you will have with what you buy.