match letters not recognize them

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by preschool345, Nov 12, 2009.

1. preschool345

preschool345 New Member

Nov 12, 2009

Hello~

I have a 5 year old who can match her letters no problem but if you ask her what they are she cannot tell you and she guesses. What can I do to help her recognize more before she goes off to Kindergarten next year? I know it's early in the year;however, I think she'll struggle all year long and I don't know what to do. I have 12 children in that class and it's hard when over half struggle with their letters.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Nov 12, 2009

I think there was another thread on this. Matching is one thing, identification is another. I would start with the letters of her name.

4. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Nov 12, 2009

I have a student with the same problem this year. She cannot identify any of her letters but she does know most of their sounds. Besides all the work on letter recognition we do in class I told the parent today to have her check out Starfall.com. It is an great free website that helps children identify their letters. It has games and stories that help them, plus is fun and colorful. :)

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Nov 12, 2009

I was working with a k teacher and she uses starfall as well as http://www.carlscorner.us.com/ I am not exactly sure what is there, but she loves it for her kids. Maybe it will be helpful for you too!

6. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 13, 2009

Learning upper case, lower case, letter names and letter sounds all at one time is a lot! You child is getting it as long as she knows the sounds that go with the letters.

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Nov 13, 2009

Have your children do tactile activies: making letters with playdough, making letters with wood pieces, tracing letters, using sand paper letters, writing in rice, shaving cream etc.

8. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Nov 14, 2009

ABC Bingo. Yes, I show them the card,but they also hear the name of the letter everytime. Most of my 3 year olds can now tell me the name of the letter when I hold it up. I also made giant letter dice from foam florist blocks. I put a letter on each side (put the letters on paper, glued them to the blocks and then covered the blocks with clear packing tape-- have had them for 3 years now). At circle time, they take turns rolling a dice and telling me the name of the letter that lands on top. I used 5 blocks and instead of having on with 2 letters and the rest of the sides blank,I put ? on one side of each of 4 blocks.I they roll a ? they can choose any letter on the block to tell me.