Match.com

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Pisces_Fish, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 1, 2011

Who else is a member? I joined last week and so far nothing much is going on, just chatting with one or two people. I haven't really done much emailing on my behalf, though, so I know to "get my money's worth" I need to put myself out there.

Any cute success stories? Let's keep the horror stories off this thread though ;)

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 1, 2011

I don't have a match.com success story, but I met my late husband on a free dating site that didn't even use pictures. We exchanged pictures before we met though.

He always said he knew he was going to marry me on the first date. I didn't figure it out until the second date.

We met in March, were engaged in May, and married by August. In hindsight, I'm glad we moved so fast since we only had six years before cancer ended our marriage.

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

I used match and it was good but I met my BF on cupid.com and we have been together for 4 and a half years.

We do have a cute story kind of. I kind of tried to bypass the system to avoid having to pay for the site. I put my AIM username in parentheses in random letters throughout my profile, hoping someone might be smart enough to figure it out. It was up like for almost a year and I just forgot about it. Then one night I get an IM from an unknown name "I figured it out! Do I get a prize?" I think my response was something like "Who the h*** is this?" lol. And we've been together ever since. lol. The crazy part is like 3 days later, the site took down my profile because they finally found it. I always tease BF that he called them and reported it because he didn't want anyone else to find me. lol. But really, fate was on our side that day because if he had waited a few days later it wouldn't have been there.

5. sjnkate

sjnkate Rookie

Jul 1, 2011

A couple my husband and I met on our honeymoon and have stayed in touch with met on match.com. I met my husband on eharmony. My mom met my step father on eharmony too, about seven or eight years ago. I also have two friends who met their husbands on eharmony.

6. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 1, 2011

My husband and I met on Match.com.

It takes some weeding, but there are quality people there. I met some really great people.

My husband's profile was the reason I paid to join so I could contact him. We exchanged emails and then fizzled. I dated some other people and about 8 months later wondered, "whatever happened to that one guy." I made contact again and we emailed and talked on the phone for about a month before our first date. The rest is history!

After I met my husband, but before I took down my profile, another guy made contact with me ... turns out it was our area weatherman ... so, now, every time my husband sees the weatherman on the news he teases me about him.

7. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

I'm so sorry to hear that.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 1, 2011

I've never done online dating, but one of my close friends actually met her fiance on match.com. She decided to join one day "because she was bored" and contacted her current fiance maybe 2 days later because he was wearing a t-shirt for her favorite band in his picture. She never even dated anyone else from the site.

9. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 1, 2011

All these stories make me want to join myself! :) I seriously consider it when I see the commercials-even if to just get out and meet some more people!

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

The nice thing is, if you meet someone online and you like each other but don't hit it off, you have both still opened yourself up to a new circle of friends or maybe a new area or new bar that you never went to before. I had a few situations like that.

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

I met BF on match (with his cute turtle pickup line).

I think we emailed for two weeks before our first date. When he called to arrange the date, we talked for 3 hours. Then he called to make sure of the directions and we talked for two hours. By the end of the first date, I knew I was going to marry him (and so did he :blush:).

I met some interesting guys and some icky ones. I only had two dates - The World's Worst Date and BF.

12. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

Alright...do tell...what is the cute turtle pick up line?

13. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

I met 4 guys for coffee dates..the 4th is my husband....he wasnt a set match sent to me. I found him on my own and trusted my instincts...together since 2004..just had our 4th wedding anniversary the other day. Yay! good luck and take it slow....I would email then phone calls bef meeting someone only if i was still interested in them...some guys just didnt click bef meeting.so i saved time that way...only when i had good feelings abt someone i would make the time to meet them....all at starbuckss!

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

I did an hr search radius search so glad I took the chance. You get to meet people you norm wouldnt in your daily life!

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

"If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he naked or homeless?"

Not much of a "traditional" line... but it kept us debating and talking for hours :)

16. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

hehe

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 1, 2011

I met my Sweets on match.com. He found my profile and started chatting with me. We started out chatting on the site at aprox. the same time every night. These sessions lasted 30-60 minutes each! At one point just before I had to sign off (it was really late and I had school the next day) I took a chance and said, "Maybe we want to consider doing this in person sometime? Or at least on the phone?" I didn't get a reply right away and was worried I had been too forward, but then he did reply! "Um, I was thinking the exact same thing." We met for lunch a couple times, then dinner and a walk downtown, then a roadtrip for a NFL game, then... That all started back in October, and we have been throwing the idea of marriage around for a few months now. It will be a long time before that happens because I need him to get an annulment first. The process can take more than a year.

18. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 1, 2011

okcupid also seems to be a good site from what I have heard

19. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2011

I was on an offshoot of match.com (JDate) for a while with success. He was a great guy and we dated for over two years, but his heart was still weighed down by his divorce (which was in process during much of the first six months of the relationship). I don't regret any of the time I spent with him.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 1, 2011

I used match before I met my husband. I met a few guys, and one of them I'm still friends with. You can find good people on there if you weed through the profiles!

21. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

I am on Chrisian Mingle. I was surprised at the number of single Christian guys in my area. Nothings really happened yet, but it's fun to look at profiles. I actually looked at a guys photos from another state, and one of my friends from Cali was in his photos, so that was pretty funny!

22. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jul 1, 2011

So for those of you who have a match.com or some other site profile, do you have a picture up? I went and signed up....but am hesitant to put my pic up....I guess I am just nervous about it all. Funny thing is, my mom has this guy in mind to try to introduce me too...he is one of my "matches". He works at her church.

23. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

I put some pictures up, but it really took a lot of courage for me to do it. First, I am very private. And second, I know first impressions count for a lot, and I dont think I had great pictures. But i figure I'd jump in with both feet so I did it! The whole experience is just weird to me though.

24. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

I had met and dated a guy previously from singlechristians.com but things didn't work out. We dated for a year. Then I decided to date someone who already had kids like me. I joined singleparentsmeet and the very first day I met my husband. We e-mailed for about 2 weeks and then our first phone conversation was about 3hours. We met for our first date and I just knew something clicked the way it never did before. We got married a year and half later.

My sister in law met her husband on eharmony. :)

25. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Jul 1, 2011

I tried Match.com. I wasn't getting any hits. I found a dating website called largeandlovely.com. A couple of men contacted me. I have know been talking to a guy from this website for 6 months.

If Match.com or eHarmony doesn't work, find a dating website that have a pool of people with similar interests- single moms, Christian, etc

26. missjessica

missjessica Rookie

Jul 1, 2011

I didn't want to pay for an online dating site, so I used okcupid.com. I'm not sure if people in smaller towns use it, but a ton of people I know from San Francisco and LA use it.
    I'm only 24, so I felt kind of "weird" and "desperate" signing up for an online dating site. But a year ago I met my boyfriend who is the most wonderful person on earth. He works for a tech company in the Silicon Valley, has great friends, went to one of the best universities in the world, and has a sweet and loving family. We joke with each other and our friends about how we met "online."
    If you put up pictures of yourself, just pick two or three that show what you really look like. If you feel weird about strangers seeing what you look like, imagine how many people see your face on the street each day, in the store, on security cameras at banks...it's only a big deal if you make it one!
    There are DEFINITELY a lot of weirdos on all dating sites. You just have to be safe and careful. When someone says something creepy, just block them instead of deleting your profile. Make sure you Google someone's name before you meet up with them.
    Okcupid makes a good argument for why you shouldn't pay for online dating. If anyone is interested, check out the site!

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2011

My picture was up. I updated it as my hair color (and the rest of me) changed.

28. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 1, 2011

I used Match for two years before meeting dh. I really enjoyed it-met some GREAT guys on there, even though it didn't work out. After about 2 years, I had chatted with or met up with all the guys I wanted to, so I hopped over to Yahoo personals just to see who was new over there. That's how I met dh. We sent e-mails for about two months, met for a date and it went really well, but I was casually seeing some other guys and didn't want to commit. A month later we had our second date and it was fantastic and I just knew he was it. I broke took down my profile and the rest is history!

29. XOEmmyLouOX

XOEmmyLouOX Rookie

Jul 2, 2011

I did Match.com myself for awhile.. I met some interesting people on there. I didn't meet my SO on there, but I know several people who have met their loved on by online dating.

30. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 2, 2011

Question about match...

Only paid users can send and read emails, so if I do send an email, is there a way to find out if they are a 'real' member?

31. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 2, 2011

If I remember, you can get the email without paying, you just can't respond.

32. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 2, 2011

I know 2 people who met their husbands on match.com. Both were really shy girls and didn't get "out there" much to meet guys so I think this was a good thing for them (one of them was my housemate in college and I don't think she went on any dates in all the time that I knew her at school). I never tried match.com but I met a few guys through Yahoo personals. One was a teacher but he was too old for me in my opinion and another was a guy i dated on and off for about 3 years before I started dating my husband.

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 3, 2011

I have never used match.com; however, I met my OH from an online dating site. We've been together for about a year now. Even though we live in the same town, I highly doubt we would've met if we both weren't on the dating site.

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2011

My best friend met her husband on Match.com. They now have a beautiful daughter. :)

35. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 3, 2011

I feel stupid asking... What is OH?

36. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 3, 2011

Other half? I'm just guessing though.

37. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 3, 2011

Oh duh! Thank you. hahahahahhaaha I actually tried googling it before I asked but came up empty. See now I feel foolish.

38. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 3, 2011

BINGO!!! :D

39. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Jul 3, 2011

I tried plentyoffish.com (per my mother's suggestion) one night because I was bored and I met a found an interesting guy within a half hour. We started talking that night (at the end of April) and have talked since... met and gone on a few dates. We really hit it off and a couple of weekends ago spent the entire weekend together... Not trying to share a horror story but....Unfortunately, within the past few days, things have quickly gone down hill.. Who knows what'll happen but I'm kind of turned off to online dating for a while. I also have a fear that a parent or someone from the school will find me on there... AWKWARD!

40. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Jul 3, 2011

I would not want to pay to join a site. At my school there are two teachers who met their husbands on the site.
    I assume the only thing you can do for free on match is look at photos?

41. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2011

I've been using online dating for the past two years and I find it's a great way to meet new people. I've actually made a couple of good friends from one site, had two short-term relationships, and gone on several other dates. And still I put my hand back in the fire! Dating is fun after you get used to the idea that dating is the way you're going to find that special someone. I was taking it too seriously at first but I am developing the hang of it now and enjoying myself. I go out about twice a month and that works fine for me. I will let you all know when I find HIM! LOL