MAT Thoughts

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Innsmouth, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Innsmouth

Innsmouth Rookie

Dec 13, 2014

Hello,

I am hoping to start my MAT program next year. The program has aggressive scholarships for people with science backgrounds. Almost all of the program can potentially be paid for. The "downside" is that it takes place is in a school district that has a lot of ESL students, and is generally a rough part of the area. There are other programs in the area that take place in "better" schools, but they likely wouldn't offer such aggressive scholarships. My thoughts: The financial benefits of the MAT program with ESL integration are too good, and I think that even though it will be a challenging way to start my teaching career, it is the better decision and will benefit me both professionally and financially in the long run. I'd like your thoughts on this, so I know what I am getting myself in to working with a strong majority of ESL students.

Thanks,

Innsmouth

3. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 13, 2014

I say go for it. Having ESL teaching experience will make you more hireable, and you will have support from the classroom teacher when you student teach.

4. Innsmouth

Innsmouth Rookie

Dec 13, 2014

Thank you for the response, otter.

I went to a school that was roughly 40% ESL on the West Coast. Most of my friends growing up were not college graduates. Additionally, I am a first generation college student who received little educational encouragement from home. I hope that I can bring a good perspective to my students in the future, as I come from conditions much similar to them. I guess I have to, over the year, let them realize that I am ultimately just like them. I am excited to try and share my love of learning with my future students.

5. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 14, 2014

I am also a first year teacher with many ELL kids. Mostly, these kids just need good teaching strategies - the ESL strategies you use to reach them will work in any classroom you are in in the future. To me, the behavior piece is a lot trickier to figure out.

Good luck with your program.