MAT program financial aid

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Mrs.Husakovic, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 10, 2015

Hi everyone :)

So I have decided to pursue a MAT program in Elementary Education. I was thinking Elementary or ESL, but as it turns out I have to do the Elementary first and afterwards take 6 more classes and a Praxis exam and then I can become ESL certified. So I have to do the MAT in Elem. Education first.

Now my worries are finances. The program costs $15,000 plus I have to take 5 prerequisite courses since I didn't have any Math or Science in College. I think it will all come out around $20.000 in the end. I have no loans right now. My parents paid for my Bachelor's. It's all done and paid for, no debt. Debt makes me nervous...

Now, I really want to do this program. I just turned 28 and after working in a few different fields I have def. realized that I want to try teaching! The only thing that worries me is paying for the program. I realize there are student loans....but what if I can't find a job after I get my degree? I might find one immediately, I don't mind relocating, but what if I can't? What if it takes me a year or worse....I read about job outlooks for teachers, it looks pretty good....I reallyyyy want to enroll in this program and become a teacher but worrying about student loans and whether I will be able to pay them off is literally making me sick ....

How did you all pay for your Master degrees? By the way there is no alternative route in Rhode Island so this is the only option I have....

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

3. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Feb 10, 2015

I was in the exact same boat. I have an undergrad and then decided to pursue an MAT a year after I graduated. I didn't have any debt with my BA. The only way really is to get loans. It was rather easy. Just talk with the financial aid at your university and it's all laid out for you. My program lasted a year and a half and I borrowed roughly 14k - not too bad for a masters. Debt made me super nervous, but it looks like as a teacher, you can get debt forgiveness if you teach for 10 years - so I've heard. But for me, my payments will be about $70 a month after my grace period ends (sometime in June since I just graduated in Dec).

You'll always have these worries, I am realizing how "real" they really are. Considering I moved halfway across the country to get a job in NV and apparently reciprocity is some kinks in it. But subbing is a good way to look for a teaching job.

I am not sure about Rhode Island, but I know there are many "alternative routes" in other states.

Good luck!

4. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 10, 2015

Hi thanks for responding. I am glad you got a job in Nevada. I hear Nevada, Texas and Georgia have major teacher shortages. Good for us lol :) How long after graduating did you get the job? Was your MAT in Elementary Ed.? Thanks

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

I did my MAT in my content area (not Education), and it was entirely paid for through a graduate assistantship.

6. teacherguy111

teacherguy111 Cohort

Feb 10, 2015

What exactly is a graduate assistantship?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

You work as a graduate assistant (teaching assistant) while you take grad classes. I assisted in several classes and taught my own courses (where I was the only instructor). In exchange, the university paid my tuition, covered my healthcare costs, and gave me a monthly stipend. I also had office space.

8. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 10, 2015

I am filling out the FAFSA right now. Turns out I I missed the last deadline so there is no way I can start until Fall. I am looking into other colleges where I could maybe start sooner....Caesar, you were lucky! I hear not many people get admitted for graduate assistantship.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

That's true. My school (a very large Division I university) accepted 5 students into my program.

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

I would like to chime in and ask if you could possibly meet the needs for those undergraduate courses by taking CLEP exams? If you have knowledge, but not courses on record, you may be able to save that $5000. Just a thought.

11. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 10, 2015

Thanks for the tip Lynette, I will look into it. Has anybody else made an utterly stupid mistake on their FAFSA form? I put the wrong college name and already clicked submit. Now when I try to go back to correct it, it just says that it's already submitted and in processing. Oh Loooord...I just got distracted for one second! Didn't even realize the mistake until it was already submitted. Is there any way to fix this :eek:

12. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2015

Try calling FAFSA - they used to have a helpline. BTW, if you are willing to relocate, why not do it now to a state nearby, if you would like, that does allow Alternate Route? It seems as if it you alleviate most of your problems. Just a suggestion.

13. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 10, 2015

Thanks for your suggestions Lynette. I always like reading your advice. It has crossed my mind...Massachusetts has an alternative route in Boston, but it's about the same price as the MAT at Rhode Island College. I haven't checked out CT....but unfortunately relocating is easier said than done...I would need a job there...I'm under a lot of stress these days and ...I will try calling FAFSA.

14. Mrs.Husakovic

Mrs.Husakovic Rookie

Feb 11, 2015

Another question ,how hard is it to actually find a job in Elementary ed. ??? All this complaining from job seekers here scares me to death! I do plan to eventually add ESL/ENGLISH certification, but in R.I. you have to get the MAT first.

15. txteach13

txteach13 Rookie

Feb 11, 2015

FAFSA correction

Wait a few days until it's processed then you can log in and add the correct school with the "make a correction" option.

16. CatfaceMeowmers

CatfaceMeowmers Companion

Feb 11, 2015

Yeah, you need to get a license first, then you can add on endorsements. This was my first thought. I wanted to do ESL and Japanese. But you have to focus on your main license first. Get licensed THEN endorsements :)