Mastery Club vs. Homeworkopoly

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sue35, Jun 12, 2008.

1. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

Hi all,

So I have decided to implement one of these two ideas in my room. They aren't related but if I add too many new things I will drive myself crazy.

Mastery Club comes from this website.
    http://www2.redmond.k12.or.us/mccall/renz/masteryclub.htm

I would LOVE to know if anyone has used either in their room and what they liked or didn't like about them. I just can't decide which one to do.

3. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 12, 2008

I'm going to do the mastery club this year-it's going to be called super sleuths. The kids can move up levels for every 20 questions they answer (I'm adding a few to the original list so we have 100). They'll get magnets to show which level they are on, and they'll get a t-shirt if they hit 100. You can see my site for the kids below:

http://www.mrs.uppman.com/15.html

4. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

I did mastery club this year, and the kids loved it. We did some mini lessons at the beginning of the year on how to search for something to do as well as different resources to find the information. I also sent a copy of the list home so parents knew what we were doing AND for those times when a kid says, "I'm bored!"

5. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

I used Homeworkoply in my class and my students loved it. They were excited to have their name called to go up there. However I need to think of new ideas for my chance and community cards.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2008

Last year was my first year in fifth grade (taught kinder before that). I implemented both mastery club and homeworkopoly. Here is how I did it without going crazy.

For master club, I renamed it to Young Einstein Club, I would put up three questions on Monday. THey had all week to answer the questions. Most I got from that website and some I made up that went along with what we were learning. They could work on the Young Einstein club if they finished their work early (great for the gate kids or the early finishers). They could use the classroom library or computers to help them with their research. On Friday, I went through their answers (they placed them in a pink basket on my desk) and kept track of their points on a word document. I printed it out and posted the points on Monday. I had a silver club, gold club, bronze club, and the platinum club. After earning a certain number of points for each club, they received a small prize (book, sticker sheet, etc).
    [​IMG]

For homeworkopoly, I had student jobs who kept track of homework. My homework checkers would mark who did and did not turn in their homework (based on student numbers). I can't remember where I found it, but I had these slips of papers that had 1-30 listed. So, my homework checkers would put a slash on the numbers that completed homework and a circle on the numbers that did not turn in homework and a triangle around the numbers who were absent. So, on Friday, I would go through each number and call up the students who did their homework for the whole week to roll. We did this Friday afternoon before going home. It took no more than 15 minutes to do this and by the end of the year, I had my assistant help me with the homeworkopoly.
    [​IMG]

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 12, 2008

some ideas for chance and community cards: first in line for lunch, pick pe game, eat in classroom with a buddy during lunch time, get a drink of water, go to the bathroom when you want, sit in library with friend during math time, be a helper in lower grade classroom, move ahead two spaces, whole class reward: everyone gets to eat in the classroom during lunch time (favorite card!!!), "You got an A on a test. Collect 5 classroom money", stay in at recess and play a game with a buddy, 10 minutes on funbrain.com, nice note home, nice call home, .....

8. MsMaggs

MsMaggs Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

Loving all of the great ideas and options! I'm looking to try both the mastery club and homeworkopoly next year!!!

9. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I've never heard of Mastery Club before but I like what you described Peachyness! I just might have to implement something like that with my students next year. Does anyone have a good name to call it that goes along with my Hollywood theme?

10. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Jun 12, 2008

oh no! It looks like I might just do both. Jem, I knew you did master club from looking at your website ( which is great) but I didn't know others did also. I think I might do it how you did it Peachyness so I am not crazy.

Thank you for the answers so far!

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

I did mastery club for the first this this year, and most of my 4th graders got really excited about it. I had 5 out of 20 who answered enough questions correctly to make it on the hall of fame. It was a "done early choice" in my room, and they could use any resource they had available to them except me.

12. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

I like this, I can't wait to see other peoples ideas

13. Trice2006

Trice2006 Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

Thankx peachyness for some of the ideas...I like the size of your homeworkoply game. When I made mine it is huuuugee. I think I might need to downsize it.

14. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 13, 2008

Academy Awards Club?

Oscar's Awesome Thinkers?

Director's Club?

15. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

How do your students make it to the hall of fame, Steph-ernie?

16. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

I have a total of 80 (I think) questions in mastery club. If they ansewr at least 15 correctly during the course of the year, they make it into the hall of fame. I take a digital photo of them, put it, their first name and last initial, and the school year they were in my room on an index card that was posted on the hall of fame. During the last week of school I came back through and added to the card the total number they got correct. I think the one who had the most got about 29 correct during the year. Their cards will stay up on the hall of fame every year from now on. That was really exciting to them, that future students would be able to see their name and picture up there.

17. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

does anyone else have pictures of their homeworkopoly? I would love to see the different ideas. I loved the pictures above! WOW

18. DreamToTeach

DreamToTeach Companion

Jun 14, 2008

Mrs. Jasztal has a mastery club on her website and she calls it Cranium Commanders! Love it!

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2008

That's what I did... I cut and redid the original setup.

20. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 18, 2008

Does anyone have some additional questions that can be added to the Mastercy Club that aren't already listed? I'm looking to post three questions a week and based on the ones on the list, I won't have enough to fill out the school year.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 18, 2008

I came up with the questions each Friday. Some from her list, and some that focused on what we were studying at the moment. If you can wait, I can type the questions that I made up out. I have them in the garage. Just need to dig it up.

22. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jun 18, 2008

That would great, Peachyness! There's no rush, so whenever you get to it, you get to it. Thanks!!

23. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 18, 2008

What about taking two from the list and adding one question related to current content each week?

24. SuperMissM

SuperMissM Rookie

Jun 18, 2008

Ive added some questions that I know they cover in our curriculum. Ive added some Virginia specific questions. Ive added some to the random category about things that the kids know I like. Im going to add some local things and thigns about the history of our school and community.