Mastery Club Question?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Matt633, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I am going to start this this year (have not figured out the name yet) but I was wondering do you have the students only work on this in class when they are done with other work?

I see a problem if I post the questions on a web site. I am afraid the parents will do most of the work just so little Susie can get the "T-Shirt." This will defeat the purpose so I am wondering how to do this.

How has it worked in your class?

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jul 29, 2008

I send home a list at the beginning of the year so parents can see what we are doing. If a child does work at home, that's fine with me. I ask them how they researched the information and try to get some background info that way. I haven't had a problem with parents doing the work.

If you think you might, you could post some examples of what you feel would be "okay" help vs. "not okay" help.

Ex:

Okay- helping your child figure out the resource to use to find the information

Not okay- handing your child a printout with information you've researched

4. TeachMe3

TeachMe3 Rookie

Jul 29, 2008

How does the mastery club question research work? I have not heard of it before.

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

teacher--yeah I will do that we just happen to have a few "over-achiever" parents that will spoil the process, I'm afraid.

TeachMe--http://www2.redmond.k12.or.us/mccall/renz/masteryclub.htm

this site will show you

6. Calalilys

Calalilys Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

I'm using it solely as something for my students to do outside of the school day. Some of them might spend more time rushing through their work during the day just so they can work on the Mastery Club questions instead and that defeats the point.

7. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

I use it in the classroom. The questions are posted on a bulletin board. If they wanted to write down a question to work on at home, that would be fine with me, but I would get suspicious if they were turning in piles of answers done at home every day. For the most part, the students just choose to do it as a done-early choice.

8. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 30, 2008

I'm going to stick the questions into their I-SPY folder, and they can do them on their own. I don't give much homework at all, so it will give those who want it more to do. The second grade teacher said this group really needs to work on self-motivation, so I'm hoping this might help....

9. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 30, 2008

I have my questions (that I developed) in folders near my computer. Now I am doing a question remodel for Cranium Commanders for 2008 that doesn't require the students to use the computer for research as much. Or at least it doesn't lead them to a specific site- they have to use more of a search engine.

10. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 1, 2008

Ms.Jas,
    I like that idea a lot. I am looking for a clever name for my "mastery club" What do you reward you kids with who answer all the questions and do you give any reward for partially answering? Would you mind if I use "Cranium Commanders".....or maybe you or Jem might have a clever name. I am looking for something to make up a T-Shirt with that goes along with the name. I think Jem's is the other theme I like but I don't want to totally copy you guys and I have been thinking for a couple of weeks and evertything is lame!