Masters vs. Licensure - is there a difference??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LisaM, Sep 1, 2007.

1. LisaM

LisaM Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

Hi everyone,
    So I am lost on the road to furthering my education and perhaps you can offer some advice.
    My goal at end of the road is to have a Masters degree (required by state) and to be certified for special education (to expand by knowledge and help with job opportunity).
    I have already taken four classes towards a masters in elementary education, so I was planning on continuing that route which would take care of the masters degree part.
    Then I was going to earn my initial licensure in special education - I have to take 6 classes and do a practicum. Then I would have to take 3 more classes to bring my initial special ed license to a professional license.
    My question is, am I hurting myself by getting a masters in elementary ed and not special ed? Meaning, are schools not going to hire me because they'd rather see a masters in special education rather than just a license??
    As a sidenote, I am not sure if this is relevant, but my husband and I are planning (after our higher education is done) to move to New Hampshire because it's more affordable than where we live in Mass. So, I am also very unsure of how the teacher industry works up there (other than they'd accept our Mass licenses), so any information on that would also be great.
    Thanks so much!

3. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Sep 1, 2007

My experience from teaching in California and Utah is that if you have a special ed degree of any sort they snap you up and you are not allowed almost to go back to regular education. I've seen teachers who got burned out be told they are too needed in the special ed arena to go back. It is a difficult job and lots of paperwork and laws and rules so be sure you really want to teach special ed kids for this reason. The need is higher than ever since all the legal requirements (paperwork) keep getting expanded I think it scares teachers away, also having a myriad of problems within one self contained classroom is hard. I think your masters in elem ed will help you with your job, designing curriculum for those kids and stuff. It won't be a detriment, at all.