Masters vs 2nd undergrade degree in teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MrT, Mar 5, 2009.

1. MrT

MrT Rookie

Mar 5, 2009

I am confused what road I should take in my life right now. I want to get into teaching, I love it ! I had my undergrad in Computer Information Systems/ Computer Science and worked as a programmer for a while. I tried subbing during some rough times and discovered I loved teaching ! I am currently taking graduate classes in Special Education to become a Special Education teacher and subbing for Special Education classes whenever I can. My concern is several friends have told me that a masters in teaching will limit my options at the entry level and schools won't want to hire me because they will have to pay me more. I have met several other students who had a previous degree in a different field who are going for a 2nd undergraduate degree in teaching rather than a masters. I hate to go to school again only to still have just another undergraduate degree. In addition I would have to take more classes as an undegraduate student and it would take me a lot longer to complete. I am only 24 credits away from completing the masters right now, but the classes I have taken are the same classes I would take as an undegrad so it is completely transferable.

Opinions? What would you do in my situation?

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

I think that in your situation I would stick with the master's degree; you've already started it, it will take you less time and you will get compensated for it when you get a job. However, you should try to find out how many first-year, special education teachers the districts you are interested in have hired with a master's degree an how much more money that would be for a district to help you make your decision. There are districts who would prefer to hire teahcers without a master's degree because they will cost less, but not all districts feel that way.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 5, 2009

It's a really tough call. Your friends are right about the master's degree costing the districts more money, which makes them less likely to hire you, but you are going into SPED, which isn't as saturated as other areas, plus you have a CS background, which I think would make you more appealing to some districts in spite of the added cost. You've also spent time subbing, so you know what it's like to be the only adult in charge of a bunch of kids, which, while not the same as having your own classroom, means that you've already been "tested" in a sense.

I think, considering the whole situation, that I'd just finish the master's degree.

5. Arky

Arky Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

I have heard that for many years but that is not true where I work. My school has hired many a person with a masters. They take pride in having teachers with master degrees and beyond.

6. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

my school hires people that have master's degrees. they may have to pay you more, but they don't have to pay toward your tuition if you start a masters program while you are with them. it looks good on state report cards to have more teachers with advanced degrees... I say you finish the masters.

7. ACardAttack

ACardAttack Companion

Mar 5, 2009

It depends on your district, my district requires all teachers to have their masters by the end of their 5th year of teaching.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Mar 5, 2009

If you are going into Special ed, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

9. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Mar 6, 2009

I don't know about your particular part of the country, but I'm with TamiJ.

SPED is a very high demand market. If a school system wants to insist on BS SPED teachers to save money...more power to them. I wish them luck in finding enough candidates to fill their vacancies.

Get your masters.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Mar 6, 2009

Most districts in my area require that also. For your permanent certification from the state you also have to have your Masters.

11. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2009

I'd finish the masters...you've already started it and honestly, in my district starting someone on step 0 with a masters is similiar in pay to someone who has a few years experience and a bachelors...and my district is willing to go for the masters degree teachers. GL!