Masters of Education Question

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Amy Sessions, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Amy Sessions

Amy Sessions Rookie

Sep 23, 2016

Hi Everyone,

I wasn't sure where to place this question in the list of forums provided, but felt this was a good place to start. I am currently a grad student at Washington State University and I am in my final semester toward earning my Masters of Education degree (Yay! :) ). However, I feel like a terrible student right now for how long it has taken me to get this degree (which I feel like I don't deserve). Let me explain...

I started my EdM program back in 2011 and was on the right track to complete my course requirements. However, as time went along, I kept having health problems (anxiety and reflux that would flare from it) and I had to take some incompletes for some of my courses. I did go back and finish those courses and did well in them. I also got my first teaching job in the middle of this and did that for 2 years. I had to take a year off my grad program so I could focus on my first year teaching which I'm glad that I did. I took 2 courses during my second year teaching to continue my grad program, but just had a hard time keeping up with the grad work and teaching full-time (I taught Special Ed). So I quit my teaching job to focus on finishing my Masters, which is what I am currently pursuing. The other factor that is important to mention is that I couldn't take the courses in my grad program at any time that I wanted. I had to wait till they were offered, with some classes only being provided once a year! Waiting for classes to come around also added time onto my EdM program completion. Now that 5 years has gone by, I am finally seeing the light at the end of the EdM tunnel :).

However, my dilemma (or feelings) that I previously mentioned above (feeling like a bad student) lies in my dealings with my current WSU academic adviser. She is the 3rd adviser that I have had since I started grad school (she's been there less than a year). When I met with her a couple of months ago to figure out what more I needed to do to finish my Masters program, she was pretty condescending about why it was taking me so long to complete my program (which I explained to her as I did above). When I had to fill out a form for the grad school listing all the courses that I have taken in the past 5 years, she noticed how many incompletes I have taken (they are only mentioned at the bottom of my transcript and all replaced with grades). She kept mentioning during the time that I met with her that I couldn't take an incomplete for my grad project in the final semester of my program. Although this was true according to school policy, I just felt belittled by her mentioning this as that was the first thing she said to me about my project (which I am currently working on). Also, I am currently finishing an incomplete for the last course I took due to complications that I had during my teaching position that got in the way of completing my grad class work. The professor of my last course was very understanding and gave me an incomplete to help me through my struggles. My adviser again pointed this out to me that I needed to finish this recent incomplete ASAP and asked for a date for when I would have this done which I gave to her. Her most recent email was a copy of what the grad school sent me, which was a to do list of what I needed to do to graduate this December. Her email that she sent was again condescending. When she quoted what the grad school said about completing my incomplete from the last course I took, she made a side note saying "No surprise as I remember you mentioning this to me that you would be done by such and such date".

My whole issue in all this is that I feel like a bad student for how long it has taken me for completing my EdM program. This adviser has made it clear that I am taking too long with too many incompletes. Although feeling awful about this, I have determined in my mind that although it's taking me longer than normal to do this, I am not a quitter and I am going to finish my program with my EdM degree. My question is: should I be feeling bad about how long this is taking me? Does it really matter that I am taking this long with that many incompletes though I replaced them all with good grades? I'm just curious to see what other professionals say. Thanks!

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2016

Don't feel bad that life got in the way of your studies. That advisor will not be a prospective employer and will not be signing your paychecks, so just ignore her, finish school, and move on.

4. Jellybean414

Jellybean414 Rookie

Oct 24, 2016

It was long than usual. So what? It doesn't matter what the adviser thinks about it. You've already made up your mind. Put away how you feel, focus on what you need to do to get over it. So that you don't have to deal with the adviser for long. Good luck!

5. MetalTeacher

MetalTeacher Companion

Oct 30, 2016

It takes some people longer. I'm finishing up my last year of undergrad before I start my master's year. Not because I had trouble with the classes, but because I had trouble figuring out what it was I wanted to do with my life. Not everyone takes the same path through their education. (Something that we as college students and adults both need to remember. And something that high school students who are under a lot of pressure to jump into college should know as well.)