Masters in a cohort?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pisces_Fish, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 7, 2008

What does it mean to get your masters in a cohort? I hear people talking about that, and I don't understand what it means. From what I gather, it means you take every class with the exact same people, and you can't "slack" and drop your courseload or anything? Someone please explain.

3. daiwa24

daiwa24 Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

I got my masters in a cohort program. Our group remained the same for the whole two years and only the teachers changed (we had the same four who rotated in and out). It was nice because you really got to know the other people in your group -- we celebrated all the good times (one woman got married, three gave birth!) and we were there for each other in the bad times (there was a death of a spouse and a case of cancer).

I think each program is different in terms of the course load. In my cohort, you couldn't change a class or take one at a different time. However, my husband is currently in a cohort and he's already gotten approval to take some time off due to his coaching schedule -- he'll make up the classes later.

I would defintiely recommend going through a cohort rather than individual classes -- your courseload is already set, you don't have to worry about which classes to take, and a lot of the other details like books and fees are usually taken care of for you (they're included in the total price and you won't have to worry about them later).

Good luck!

4. Green_eyed_gal

Green_eyed_gal Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

I went through a cohort when I got my Bachelor's degree. It was a great experience and I'll be doing it again when I start my Masters. I made some really good friends when I was in school and we all keep in touch.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2008

I'm in an online cohort. I have a set schedule of classes that I have to follow, and though there are some familiar faces in this second class, there are some new people.

6. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

I started my master's with one cohort and finished with another (I was part-time for most of it, while everyone else was full-time). In my program it was possible to do that. I think I gelled a lot better with the first cohort. It was hard to break into the cliques of the 2nd cohort once I'd already been around for a while.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 7, 2008

I'm in a master's cohort now, halfway through. I recommend it highly! You get to know your classmates well, and my group shares a lot of lesson plans and ideas - they're a great resource.

8. Weazy

Weazy Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

I was wondering about that [B]stg. [B]There is probably about 20 people in my current class (through Walden). I just wondered how many of the same ones will be in my next class, or will we be mixed up. I am pretty sure we are all in the Literacy and Learning program, even though this first class is required for all the education programs. [/B][/B]

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 7, 2008

Weazy-We're all in the same master's program, but I think there are only about 3-4 people from the first class in this class. I guess I'll have to see how many carry over into the next class.