Masters degrees in education

Discussion in 'General Education' started by John Lee, Jan 18, 2016.

1. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 18, 2016

I'm looking into various Masters programs that will further me in my teaching career. While I would like nothing more than to teach for many more years, I don't foresee a bright future in that regard. So I'd like my masters work to give me options, should/when I get laid-off.

So I'd prefer not to go for a Masters in Teaching, which I feel would be easiest (NOT to say it is an easy program!) My question is whether any Masters would go toward salary steps in public school districts? Or does the Masters have to do with teaching? I'm looking at possibly technology programs, even agricultural programs... but I don't think I'd do them, if it still didn't help me in terms of salary in education.

3. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2016

I'm sure it depends on the district, but mine won't pay you the salary bump unless the masters is directly related to your current teaching assignment. I'm actually lucky that they pay for anything at all; we're one of the very few districts left in the area that gets a salary bump for having a masters. Most districts have gone to pay for performance and no longer give any extra pay at all for advanced degrees. I was kind of afraid to go into my program because of that (just finished this year), but my current district gives such a big raise that even if they stop in the next few years, the amount my salary has been raised just from the first year of having it will be worth it.

4. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 19, 2016

I think I know what state you're in. I have a cousin in a district that you're describing. What is the incentive for getting a masters then?

5. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 19, 2016

My district will give a salary bump for any education-related Master's, but it does need to be education-related.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2016

Same.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2016

There really isn't one. The districts that do pay for performance love to tout research about how advanced degrees don't make teachers more effective. They would rather their teachers attend PD. The only reason I can see to get one in a pay for performance district would be if you were trying to get into administration.

8. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Jan 19, 2016

Yeah, these are two of the education-related programs I'm looking at: Educational Technology, and Instructional Technology. Do you have any idea how "in demand" these (outside of public education) career paths are currently? Thanks for the info.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 19, 2016

Classes must be pre-approved in my district in order to count towards salary guide movement. Would have to be Ed related.