Master's Degree????

Discussion in 'General Education' started by flakes, Oct 21, 2008.

1. flakes

flakes New Member

Oct 21, 2008

:dizzy:

Hi,
    I am interested in finding out from fellow teachers if you went back to school to get a master's degree. If you did, what played a role in your decision? Did you want to stay in the classroom? Was it more money with a MA or MEd versus a bachelor's? Is the economy precluding anyone from going to school?

I'm being nosey, I know...but I'm contemplating whether it is worth it or not. What should I look for in a program?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2008

I am currently finishing up my second class for my masters in Curriculum, Instruction, Assessment. Money played some part of wanting to go back to school, but I also wanted something that would allow me to continue working in education should I ever tire of being in the classroom. I will say that my program is really awesome as I have gotten so many great ideas that will be useful in the classroom. I really can't wait to use them.

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 21, 2008

If you plan on teaching it is worth it in terms of $$$. At least in my county. And it is nice to sit around with other adults that have the same interests and challenges to bounce things off of each other. It only took me two years going at night and summers. I did the MS. in Adm. because I thought being an AP or principal was a good idea. Now I wish I had gotten it in something else like counseling or reading or even PE. It was still a great experience.

5. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 21, 2008

In Kentucky, a master's degree is required to keep your teaching certificate. So, I have my master's, the extra pay is nice too! I have completed my Rank I though, this I did for the extra money.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 21, 2008

I was already working on my masters when I was at one job. I was going for SPE - MR but they wanted me to get it in LD. So be it, I did. Then I left them for a whole lot better paying job. So, I would say MONEY was the reason behind getting it. Now, to be highly qualified, a MS usually does the trick if you get it in your area.

7. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2008

New York is another state that requires a Masters.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 21, 2008

I was a substitute when I went back to school to get my MA in Special Ed & 2 credentials. I was hired for my 1st teaching job as an RSP teacher the summer I graduated & started off at a good salary for a 1st yr teacher (just about $50K), but I only did that for a yr. Now, I'm back to subbing & taking classes towards getting a 2nd Masters in Communication Disorders & Sciences w/ focus in Speech-Language Pathology.

I guess I just LOVE school! Higher education is never a waste. As far as what field to get into, I don't know what you plan to do.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 21, 2008

I never planned on teaching at the secondary level, and mine is in Mathematics/statistics. The teaching part came later.

10. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Oct 21, 2008

getting my Med ment about an 8K raise. doesn't make sense NOT to get it. i will eventually get back and do my +30 as it will mean another hefty raise. :D I got my masters in learning technologies.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 21, 2008

All other things being equal, I would think twice about getting a Master's without having any teaching experience.

Having a Master's Degree means you earn more money. But hiring a more expensive teacher with no experience is a risk for a district. SO MUCH of learning to teach happens during those first two years; districts would prefer to pay less for teachers without experience.

So by all means, start your Master's. Just be careful not to cross the 15 credit line that pushes you ahead on so many pay scales until you've been hired.

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 21, 2008

I second Aliceacc ... in time of budget cuts, this will be a serious consideration.

I came into public school teaching with a masters in behavioral science ... I teach HS language arts. But, my masters gets honored in the pay scale. :)

I've considered getting a masters in curriculum, just because. But, I wouldn't get more pay ... but, I'd learn useful stuff.

I'd LOVE to get a masters in counseling as my back up plan, but the counseling program at our near-by university is INTENSE. I think I will hold off on it for a few year. As of now, I can't imagine leaving the classroom.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Oct 21, 2008

I had taught for 2 years before I began my masters program. Part of me getting it was me wanting to continue my education, part of it was because I was bored with my personal life. I really enjoyed my classes (for the most part), and the pay raise is nice. I didn't get my masters to move up the ladder. I have no desire to become an administrator. I want to be in the classroom teaching. This year I'm in the AR Leadership Academy, and next year I plan on working on National Board. Maybe someday (far away) I will continue on with school, but right now I am happy.

14. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2008

I am in my third semester of a four-semester program in secondary English education. My MA will move me to the last column on our pay scale, and it will definitely be worthwhile, but I'm also doing it with an eye toward a leadership role in English education. Not sure exactly what - maybe teaching an English methods class when I get tired of getting up at 5 a.m. and having 176 students!

15. ELA 11 12

ELA 11 12 Companion

Oct 21, 2008

It's required in NY. I have my MST. My only regret is taking the minimum credits. Had I taken 4 extra classes (15 credits instead of 12 each semester) I would be making a higher salary. Our district has "steps" and "columns" that rewards teachers with service-steps-and continuing education-columns.

NY rewards districts for having teachers who are highly qualified: more than three years of service and a masters in their field. So that makes a person marketable.

16. really?

really? Rookie

Oct 21, 2008

I just started my master's program this fall. I have been teaching high school English for two years (this is my third). I always thought I would go back to school, but I also know that administration is not for me. My program is in curriculum and instruction. Yes, the pay would be nice, but I do want to learn more about educating my students.

This program just seemed to work out at the right time in my life. The college is doing an outreach program in my town. Another teacher in my department is doing the program, too. It's a cohort program, so I will be with the same classmates for every class for the next two years. Things just fell into place.

Mostly, though, I'm in the program so I can wear the hood at our high school graduation. :p

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 21, 2008

This is one of my reasons for wanting a Ph.D. So I can wear the funny hat :D

18. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Oct 21, 2008

I teach in KY but live in Ohio..both states require a Masters by 5 years or something (I know Ohio was 5 years) I had gotten my first Masters in Ohio just for the fact I knew I needed-I finished it before I got a job. This Masters did not give me the license I needed..it switched to doing so a year after I graduated. Because I'm alt. cert., when I started working in Ky I had to work towards my license, that means another Masters. Fortunately for me, that will make me a Rank I and I'll get more money. I'll complete this second on in the Spring. I could essentially take the Praxis in Ohio and try to get my license there and convert, but the extra $$ is a total incentive to finish. I'll need it to pay back my student loans!

19. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Oct 21, 2008

I got my master's (and am now working on the doctorate) because I always knew I would. I love going to school, and I love learning. Part of what made me go back when I did was for the pay (I was making very little teaching preschool) and the challenge. I have my career path mapped out, and it was a step along the way... it seemed like the right time to take that step. I agree with whoever said that she likes sitting around with other adults and talking about challenges and ideas.