Masters Degree

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Freakitypopo, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Freakitypopo

Freakitypopo New Member

Apr 15, 2008

I am graduating from college in May with a degree in political science and a minor is history. I have decided that I want to teach secondary social studies. There is a program at a local university designed for people with a bachelor's degree that is not in education. The program involves initial certification plus a master's degree. I have heard that getting your master's degree before having any experience is a bad idea because many schools will not hire because they will have to pay them more. Is there any truth to this? Will getting my Master's in Secondary Education hurt my chances of finding a job? I live in Ohio but I plan on going where the job market takes me.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 15, 2008

If you're willing to relocate, there are many districts which won't dismiss you for having a Masters with no teaching experience. I myself had an MAT with no real teaching experience, and I was snatched up--two schools in the district actually fought over me!

I've heard that jobs are very difficult to come by in most parts of Ohio. I lived in Indiana and had to move to Las Vegas to secure a teaching position.

When you're ready for a job, look me up. I'll get you all the info you need about applying in Las Vegas.

Good luck! :)

4. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Apr 16, 2008

The only thing similar that I have heard is from the people that I work with currently getting their masters. They said that they felt that the classes were easier to take with experience because they better understood certain things that they wouldn't have, had they not had the classroom experience. Of course, I am Elemen. not Secondary so the classes wouldn't be the same. So I don't know if I helped or not :)

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 16, 2008

I think that is nothing but an urban myth. I unfortunately listened and put off my masters. Now I'm finding it ridiculously hard to get motivated to go back and finish it!

Do the double program, you'll be glad you did.

6. Historyteaching

Historyteaching Cohort

Apr 16, 2008

I live in Ohio..work in KY. I have one masters already and was hired in Ky (they liked that I was qualified in an area already) I was planning on working in Ohio, but Praxis kept me from that so far. ANYWAY, I heard that rumor too..and I've not seen much truth in it. I will tell you that in this area, social studies-high school is tough competition. Many go into it around here. But I'd go for it

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 17, 2008

I heard that before & never put on my resume nor did I mention on interviews that I was working on my Masters. Of course, once I had it, I'd say I have it. Having a Masters degree helped me when I got hired as a special ed teacher, especially since all I had was subbing experience.

8. obro

obro Rookie

Apr 17, 2008

I teach Social Studies in New York. I have been hired twice--once in New York City and then once on Long Island, Both times I already had my Masters. So I don't believe it makes a difference.