Masters Degree Necessary?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Michael S., May 28, 2008.

1. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 28, 2008

I am planning on teaching in Baltimore County Public Schools (Maryland) or in a surrounding county/city. I am currently in an AAT program for Elementary Education, but will transfer to a four year institution for my BA in Elementary Education. However, my question is...Is a masters degree necessary? I know that the pay is better, but I am unsure whether or not I will be able to keep up with working (either as a teacher or as a sub) while going for my masters and be able to pay it off.

I was thinking about maybe minoring in a specific subject area, but can anybody tell me how that works? I read somewhere that 30 credits in that certain field will allow me to teach that subject in any secondary grade.

Any advice offered is appreciated.

I really think I am leaning towards a minor in either Math, Earth/Space Science, or Geography (or other social sciences field). Umm, is it realistic to have two minors?

However, the university I am looking at only offers Earth-Space Science as a major requiring 14 classes in that area. The math minor is only 7.

3. ChangeAgent

ChangeAgent Comrade

May 28, 2008

I am not familiar with Maryland's certification process. However, from what I know in PA:

Once you obtain a degree and certification in Elementary Education, you only need to pass the PRAXIS exam in a content area to teach at the secondary level (there is actually a middle-school level exam and a full secondary level exam). With the pedagogy from the elementary degree, you do not have to have a degree in secondary education--only the certification. While it may impact your ability to be hired, you do not need to have coursework in a content area to take, pass, and be certified in a content area in PA. I am certified secondary English on top of my Elementary and Special Education certifications (and Eled/Sped are my degrees). I happen to have a minor in English, but that was not a stipulation for my certification.

I would imagine that most states require a test component. Coursework would vary, as my case demonstrates.

As for completing a Masters . . . that depends what you plan to do your MA/MS in. Many teachers enter a MS in Educational Leadership or Curriculum and Instruction, or other education-related fields of study. In these cases, most programs are structured for working teachers.

However, if you pursue a graduate degree in any other content area, it may be more challenging, but I think many can be done part-time and in the evenings or online. MA English programs I have looked into can be completed as I teach. It may take longer than a full-time two-year student, but it can be done.

A non-Education doctorate, however, is probably less likely.

As far as the necessity of a Masters degree . . . that depends on state. PA only requires 24 credit hours beyond your BS/BA. NY requires a Masters, in your content area (or at least 12 credit hours in your content area within another program of study). This Masters requirement varies by state. I think I have up to 6 years in PA to meet the graduate credit requirement, while I think NY gives 5 years for the Masters degree. Check your state Department of Education webpage.

I hope some of this helps!

Personally, I chose to begin my career after I obtained my BS. I am currently completing some graduate certificates and will begin a full Masters program in a couple years. I feel that I should be working in the system before pursuing a Masters. This way, I can understand my career and the needs I have as I pursue graduate work.

4. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

May 28, 2008

Alright, thanks. I just looked into it briefly and I knew that I am jumping the gun on this a tad bit, but I really need to just wait a little bit. It is going to take me another 2 years (I just finished my freshman year at community college with 21 credits...only 15 of which count towards my Elem Ed AAT). I think it is going to take me probably 4-5 years until I have my BA, so time isn't a huge ordeal at the moment and I will have plenty of time to think about it more. I like the idea of being able to branch out to secondary education later, but obtaining a Masters Degree would be nice if it would be possible to do so without killing myself with the workload.

The advantage of subbing is that I will be able to get advice from teachers...recent grads and veterans.

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 28, 2008

Getting yours masters may or may not be something you choose to do. I am one of only a handful of teachers in my school who have a masters degree. It took me 3 years while teaching to get it. You may want to take a short break after receiving your BA and then think about it. I waited 2 years before going back. Now, I'm ready to take a break again! :)

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

May 29, 2008

Some states require a Master's and others don't. The state I live in now does not require one, but the pay is so low without it, that it's kind of necessary!

Some school districts pay for your Master's. I wish mine did!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

May 29, 2008

NY requires a Masters degree but gives you a good amount of time to get it. I took 2 classes per semester and it wasn't too overwhelming. It almost seemed like the work for the graduate classes was less demanding than undergrad. My job also gave me money for a certain number of credits.