Master's degree in Special Ed but wanting to continue teaching elementary

Discussion in 'General Education' started by hollydoris, Aug 5, 2013.

1. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Good morning, everyone! A few weeks ago I asked a question on here about getting my master's degree while working full time, and you were all very helpful and I decided to go for it. Now I've been thinking about it a little more, and I have a few questions that I'm wondering if a few of you will be able to shed some light on.

I have my an elementary and middle school license (English) and I love these age groups and what I do. I want a master's in special ed mainly because I want to have the knowledge and tools to help all students in my general ed classroom, since special ed students are integrated in the general classrooms more and more (which I believe is a good thing, and why I want to further my knowledge in special ed). I don't particularly want to be a special ed teacher, though, at least not at this time (I have thought about it and areas of it really interest me, so it's possible that with time my passions might change, especially after studying special ed for two years). I am just wondering how my master's in special ed is going to help/hurt in the future. My aunt has warned me that if I have a special ed degree, the district could decide to just move me into special ed because they need someone in that area, whether or not that was the job I wanted. I know that to be true, but as of right now I'm not planning on getting licensed in special ed (licensure would be another semester and like I said, I don't really want to be a special ed teacher so I probably won't go for licensure, at least right away. I can always go back and get my credits for licensure at another time, they said, if I decide not to get it right away.)

Anyway, I know this is long and I appreciate you sticking with me here, but I'm wondering if having a master's in special ed will hurt me getting future jobs as an elementary teacher...or do you think it will help? Just kind of looking for some opinions on this subject.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2013

I have my special education degree and am able and encouraged to teach in a regular education classroom because that was where I decided I wanted to be.

I think this would really depend on the district that you work in and your administration. My administration wants to place teachers where they want to teach while utilizing their extra skills.

4. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Aug 5, 2013

My sister kind of got shoehorned into special ed because she got certified. Now her situation is a little different than yours. She was a regular ed kindergarten teacher for 2 years and was laid off due to budget cuts. The principal told her she could take the special ed spot if she got certified, so she took the test and got the job.

4 years later she is still teaching special ed despite multiple job openings for regular ed positions in her school. I think it was easier for the principal to hire the regular ed teachers vs find someone else to take her special ed spot.

My sister does love her job. I think more than anything she is sick of the paperwork required in special ed.

5. Barbd

Barbd Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

I think it depends on the district as well. When I was student teaching, there was a teacher who had a degree in math but a minor and certification in SpEd. She had been in a co-teaching sped position for years and was angry she couldn't get out. About 3 years later (after going through 3 other math teachers) she was able to get a math position.

I've also heard horror stories of people getting a lot of sped kids in a gen Ed class without extra help simply because they were certified.

But I've also heard that a sped certificate will only help. And in some instances(like mine) you aren't highly qualified without it even in a subject class.

6. hollydoris

hollydoris Rookie

Aug 5, 2013

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate your input and experiences. :) I guess I just wanted some reassurance that I was doing the right thing for the career direction I want to go in. I think it's possible that at some point in my career I will want a change, so having a master's in sped will be something that I could fall back on. I am interested and excited to learn more about Special Education, and it is possible that after studying it I would be more excited about being a sped teacher, but I just don't want to involuntarily give up my gen ed classroom. :) It makes a lot of sense that it would depend on the district, so I guess it's always a possibility but I would just have to see how the district acts in those situations.