Masters degree help!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TxMaThTeAcHeR, Aug 29, 2010.

1. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Aug 29, 2010

Hi everyone! So I got a little shock on Friday... I taught in Texas for two years, and got my teaching license down there via alternative certification (I have my bs in math). I moved back to Minnesota this summer, and got a job teaching high school math. To my surprise, I found out Friday that my license from Texas won't transfer up here, and my ACP that I did doesn't even count anymore. So basically I don't have a teaching license. I am able to teach on a limited full time license because my degree is in math (so basically because I am highly qualified). I pretty much have to go back to school to get my teaching license, and I have three years to do it. I realize that just going and getting my bachelors is pointless, so I want to get my masters. Wondering if anyone has an experience with this, and where do I even start? I want to see if there are any grants out there also... I am a woman, teaching math, in a low income school district. Any insight/advice would be greatly welcomed :) Thanks guys!

3. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 29, 2010

TEACH Grant

Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program

Google those two.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

You can do a MAT program online in no time at all. They've watered down that program so much since I did it that it probably would only be a few classes you'd have to take anyhow. Pretty much sign up, read a couple of pages online, blog as though you read the whole thing and you have your master's degree.

5. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 29, 2010

That's a quality education right there! :lol:

I think if you're gonna spend money you should actually get something out of it. But if you want to fast-track your way^ this sounds like the way to go. My online courses were definitely easier than the in-person ones.