Masters Degree: Good Way to Network?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by isabunny, Jan 30, 2013.

1. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Jan 30, 2013

I am one of those teachers who went back to college as a second career to earn my teaching credential. I moved to another state after receiving my credential and substituting for six months. Waited two years to look for a teaching job in my new state (my bad) and then found out that I needed to get my current states certificate before anybody would even interview me or hire me. Long story, but now I have the state certificate, but still have not been able to get a job. I lack any network or contacts.

I am thinking about enrolling in a Masters of Education program hoping to increase my knowledge of teaching and to make contacts. Do you think it is a good way to network? Do you think I would be able to make contacts and possibly land a job through a Masters Program? I know at the very least I can get updated recommendation letters (mine are 5 years old now).

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 30, 2013

If you enroll in a locale Masters Program it would give you a chance to network with other local teachers. In my program, many of my professors were also teachers or superintendents in local districts.

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Jan 30, 2013

I think a cheaper way to network would be to attend professional development events. Colleges and universities often host PD, as do public and private organizations.

5. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Jan 31, 2013

Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated! Most teachers in my local school district have Master's Degrees. I had always planned on getting a Masters and who knows, maybe it will be better to get it while I am not working full time as a teacher. I will look into Professional Development also, while I wait for the Master's Program to start. I might take some of the PLU courses at the extension center. Any recommendations: Survival Kit for New Teachers, Using the Smart Board, Math Refresher.... ect...

Is their any class or skills you wish you had before you entered the classroom?

6. Resentful

Resentful Rookie

Jan 31, 2013

You have to be careful with professional developments, though. All the ones I attended there was an attendance sheet. If you weren't on it, you couldn't attend. It has to be approved by the boe where I work.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 31, 2013

The op is looking for ways to network and become a more competitive candidate..s/he isn't employed by a school district yet. Taking PD courses and workshops is a great idea to stay current on educational topics, build one's resume and network. I'm sure the OP would know enough to sign up ahead of time if needed.

8. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Feb 1, 2013

I would most definitly not attend a workshop or event uninvited. No worries! PLU courses are probably a good start, however they are mostly online. Not a good way to meet teachers, but being more prepared for the job is worth it.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 2, 2013

Working on a Masters as a way of networking could work. I personally wasn't doing it for that reason at all & I'm not a big talker anyway. But if I really wanted to get involved, I could have joined a club or two that pertained to the field & I believe my ex-school's dept had their own Facebook page too.