Master's Degree and credential question

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ambitiousgirl, Sep 15, 2007.

1. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Hi all,

I was just reading some messages here in the forum and I came across some messages about Master's Degree and Teaching Credential. Some of you mentioned that you got them at the same time. Can anyone recommend a good program/university in Los Angeles? I know there are Antioch, Mount St. Mary's, LMU etc, but can anyone recommend one of those? Any input?

Thanks in advance!

3. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 15, 2007

I have heard that National may have a dual program. I don't know anything about them though. I got my credential (not a masters)through the Cal state system and was very pleased. I am now looking at masters programs.

4. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 15, 2007

Hi Teacherfan,

which program at the Cal state system did you do? Did you like it? What were the advantages and disadvantages? Which universities do you consider for you Master's? I hope I am not too curious!

Thanks!

5. teacherfan

teacherfan Cohort

Sep 16, 2007

I got my credential through Bakersfield's regional programs. The advantages were that it was a program really geared toward working students so all the classes were at night and on Saturdays. I really cannot think of any disadvantages. I am considering Bakersfield's master in curriculum and instruction or thier educational literacy. I am also looking at Loyola Marymount's master in literacy. Finally, I found out that Cal State Dominguez Hills has a distance learning masters in humanities which I am very interested in. I can have an emphasis in history (which I love). The problem with this masters is that it is not in the field of education. The school districts I am hoping to work for will give a salary increase for any masters but I just wonder if someone with a education masters would get hired over me with a humanities masters. I don't want to teach middle or high school only elementary so I think that an education masters would be better (although I keep going back to CSDH's program). Cost is also a factor for me as I am subbing right now. The CSDH program is very affordable while the LMU program is more expensive. I haven't been able to quite figure out how much CSUB will cost but I imagine it will not be as much as LMU.

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2007

I have to say, it all depends on how quick you want it and how much $$ you are willing to spend!

First, you need to determine your area...elementary, early childhood, administrative??

Pacific Oaks has a nice program if you want early childhood...but it will cost big bucks.

All the CSU sites have it...but it depends on where you wish to drive.

University of LaVernge has one..and I think it is a cohort...six weeks, 4 classes...something like that.

Almost any program will let you earn credential with masters, as long as you complete student teaching, and take CBEST.

University of Phoenix is a quick way...but I don't know much about them, except they are also expensive.

7. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 17, 2007

ambitiousgirl, if you're looking into getting M.A. in Special Education, I know that Cal State universities require for you to get your Preliminary Credential first (it's a prerequisite). At least, it's the case with CSUN. And CSUN offers a combined option M.A. + Level II Credential (which is not bad, what do you think?).
    Check out this brochure: http://www.csun.edu/sped/pdf/mabrochure.pdf

8. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

Chokita, thanks for the link! I am still not sure which way to go... if I should go for an internship or the traditional way.... How do you like your internship (you once answered my question about credentialing programs)??? HOw is it to teach and study at the same time? Esp. in special ed?

9. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

Master Pre-K,
    well, so far I think I still want to go for special education (but general ed would be okay, too). Currently I work as a para-pro and my job gives me lots of experience. I live on the Westside in L.A. and I am hoping not to drive too far once I get into a program. I also have my own kids to take care of, which keep me also very busy with their school homework, not to speak of the stress of every day life ;-) So I guess a weekend program or something offering classes one evening a week would be great.... Like I wrote to Chokita, I am still not sure if I should go the traditional way or go for an internship... Just wanted to hear about other people's experiences.

10. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

Thanks for your input! I hope you will find the right program for you, too! Sorry that I can't give any advice about the master's program. And I heard, too, that CalState is much more affordable. I just got a brochure from Pepperdine in the mail, which seems to be very expensive, too.... :-( Good luck to you!

11. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 18, 2007

It is hard. :eek:hmy:I just started (barely got a job last week), and I already have 4 IEPs coming up in October. On top of that, I have to plan lessons and be creative, because my kids are very low-functioning. So I have to make stuff that makes sense for them and is age-appropriate (they're from 7 to 11 grade).
    And to top it all, I have homework for my district intern classes, one of them is due September 29. :help:

And I don't have kids, so at least, I have time to work and study at the same time. A friend of mine has 3 kids and she is pregnant too, and she's in the intern program too. I don't know how she is doing it. I think some people deserve their names to be carved on some sort of Wall of Honors or granted a Medal for the Working for the Humankind. :angel:

2 things I love about my job are: 1) the administration. They're all very supportive, willing to train me and teach me. 2) my assistants. I'm learning a lot from them. They're great!

12. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

Chokita,

You have all my respect!!! Just of thinking of writing IEPs! Do you learn all that in your classes over summer before you start working as an intern? Just wondering! I just try to imagine having my own classroom with all the duties and responsibilities and then studying at the same time... this sounds overwhelming! I am glad you are having great assistants! HOpe your school is nice too! I worked in a couple of schools on the Westside and South LA (Crenshaw District and Florence) and schools can be so different....

Good luck to you!

13. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 19, 2007

Yeah, we did have classes about IEPs over the summer. Unfortunately, you don't learn it until you're actually doing it. The good thing about being in the district intern program is that they're actually teaching you what the district needs (like how to write IEPs).

As for CSUN, I know their tuition for Credential program is around 1500-1700 dollars per semester (not counting the cost of books).
    District Intern program is tuition free, all books are free and you get a laptop! ;-)

14. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Sep 21, 2007

I am going to Cal Lutheran. :) Not exactly LA but its not too far off and the program so far is just amazing.

15. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

Yes, CalState is pretty much affordable compared to other programs.

Chokita, before entering your internship, how much experience did you have in special education? I am planning to enter a program in summer 2008 and at that time I will have 2 yrs experience in special ed... I wonder if that is enough? I work in special ed, but I have nothing to do with IEPs or making decisions etc.

Thanks!

16. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

Jarenko, what are the things you like best in your program? I am just trying to compare the different programs.

Thanks.

17. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 22, 2007

I've worked as a special ed trainee/assistant for 1.5 years. I've seen people that didn't have any experience in special ed at all, and they all got a teaching job!
    One of my classmates in the intern program is 22 years old. She's brilliant, and I believe she only had a short experience as a substitute teacher.
    As long as you know what you're getting yourself into, you'll be fine! :up:
    As for IEPs, nobody will expect you to know everything during your first year. And I'm sure you'll get a lot of support from other teachers and administrators.

18. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Sep 22, 2007

What is.... IEP?

19. Jarenko

Jarenko Companion

Sep 22, 2007

I will tell you.

I am not sure how much of this is redundant with other programs so bear with me. When I saw their program I knew it was for me and needed no other.

Some of the things I like is that they layer your mentors so that always you have several. You have your advisor, then your professors, then the teachers you work with.

They also have you store your work in a 'webfolio' that you can make available later should you need to show off your accomplishments. :wub:

The downside (unless you enjoy hard work like I do) is there is a lot of work. You have to write course plans, give speeches, practice your oratory skills, write and reflect constantly and you will often be asked to CHALLENGE your views or those around you and even challenge some 'core principles' that I think are widely believed to be held by teachers.

For example, one professor asked the class what do you do about the students you can't help? That you know aren't college bound? The class then erupted into a fierce debate over a teachers duty to their students vs bringing their expectations down with a dose of realism.

As a caution: The professors here seem hostile to NCLB and much of the advice offered in that area was to understand how to cope with it.

I don't know if I explained the program well, I suspect I did not, but at any rate it is a very good program and the man who mentored me had been a teacher since 1960 and thus had a wide range of experience!

20. LCFMOM

LCFMOM Rookie

Sep 22, 2007

My two cents about National University. A) It is VERY expensive at about $1300 per class; B) there is a "dual" masters/credential program but it is not a 100% overlap. After the credential classes, there are more (maybe 4?) classes for the masters; C) then, when you are done, you are saddled with "National University" on your resume (not exactly like having, you know, UCLA or something); but D) it is EXTREMELY convenient because it is online and not very rigorous.

I cannot recall exactly but I believe my teaching credential cost me $13,000.

21. Chokita

Chokita Comrade

Sep 22, 2007

I guess you are not a special ed teacher (or don't work with this population).

IEP is an Individualized Education Plan for students with special needs.

22. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 24, 2007

Chokita, This is good to know. I work in special ed (I am a behaviorist), and although I got lots of experience in my first school year I can see that there are still so many things I need to learn and know... just imagining what you need to know as a SPED teacher ... it is kind of intimidating! :eek:

23. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Sep 24, 2007

Jarenko, thanks for explaining your credential program to me! It really sounds interesting! Thanks!

24. Mrs.Rhinochunks

Mrs.Rhinochunks Companion

Sep 25, 2007

I got my credentail/masters through National. PM me if you want more info.

25. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2007

Hi, Im jumping in here! I just wanted to say that I enjoy my intern program. I am getting paid on the regular salary scale while I complete my credential classes. I am observed in my own classroom, and everything I am learning I can put to test with my class. I am always busy, true, but, in education it seems that taking classes is something that we will be doing forever anyway! Good luck whatever you decide!

26. ambitiousgirl

ambitiousgirl Rookie

Oct 1, 2007

Thanks Katrinkakat!
    I am just not sure what would be better for me....right now I work in special ed (behavorist), I work fulltime and my own kids keep me soooo busy right now, so I wonder what would be the better choice for me to handle my career and family.

27. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Oct 7, 2007

Yep, only you can decide! :)