Masters class - WWYD?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jerseygirlteach, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Feb 9, 2015

Is it okay to not get an A in a Masters class? This is a serious question, btw. :) I've never not gotten an A in any of my teacher credential classes. As an undergrad, I only got 3 Bs - two for French and one for a science class (weather and climate). Is it shameful to get a B in a master's class?

I ask because I am currently taking a class from hell and I do not anticipate pulling out an A. I was just warned by my professor that my lack of in-text citations on a paper I submitted (citations were done in the bibliography) could constitute plagiarism so I better never do it again. :( BTW, I didn't directly quote anything. I just forgot to include the citation of my source to back up my opinion directly in the text. I only did it at the end. So, I only received about half credit for the paper. Anyway, I'm thinking that I'm not getting an A here. Because I want the classes to count towards my salary scale, I have to submit the transcript to my school after the class is completed. Should I be mortified if I don't get an A? I can't not submit the class to my district at all; it's part of the masters program and the degree is what will push me up on the salary scale.

How bad will this look if it's not an A on a masters class?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

Honestly I think that it looks kind of bad to get a B in a masters class. If you do end up with a B, make sure that it's the only one you ever get.

In my masters program (which was in my content area, not in Education), we were required to maintain a 3.9 GPA. That essentially allowed us one B over the course of the program.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Feb 9, 2015

I'm in a content area program and not education, but B's are not a huge, huge deal here. I made one last semester, and given the rigor of the course I was taking, I was proud of my B. It made my overall GPA a 3.8, but with three courses to go I should finish with a 3.9. We go on probation if we make a C. But again, we are a content area program, not education. I think it's unreasonable to expect A's on everything, even for grad students. A C should be average. Grade inflation is ridiculous! Sometimes above average is good enough. Not everyone will be excellent in every course!

5. bartleby

bartleby Rookie

Feb 9, 2015

Hmm, based on my understanding, this isn't really something worth worrying about, as it is beyond your control. There is no reason not to submit the transcript, as it does affect your pay scale and a B is a passing grade, and I haven't heard of admins branding their teachers with Scarlet B's. It seems petty to judge anyone based on one course grade, but if someone wants to do that, it is entirely beyond your control. Focus on what you can do, not what is already done. If you want to (or have the option to) retake the course down the line to improve your GPA, that's an option you have to address the situation if it bothers you, but it certainly should not affect your decision now. Get through the class and revisit the situation when you are ready... perhaps later in the program when you know your GPA, etc.

6. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

In grad school a B is passing. Take your passing grade and get the transcript to your district. Don't worry about what the GPA is - it will be the total masters that gets you more money. Your school and the state will only care that you passed. Give yourself permission to breathe.

7. ArtTeacher01

ArtTeacher01 Rookie

Feb 9, 2015

Some professors can be very particular and use their grades like a sledgehammer... I wouldn't worry about a B. I'm not sure what state you teach in, but I have never had your GPS affect pay, only that you have or do not have a degree. Most institutions have a minimum GPA requirement for their programs, though I have never heard of one that requires A's only... :)

As for the issue of plagiarism... That you will want to take care of immediately because this professor could refer you for academic dishonesty, which can lead to a lot of bad things happening. A good resource for APA and MLA formatting is the Purdue OWL. check it out...

https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/10/

Adam

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 9, 2015

I earned one B in grad school. The class was bumped from the fall to the summer, and I was triple-booked for my time. In the end, the professor declined to accept a rewrite of a paper despite my turning in the corrections before the deadline. It WAS the only class in which I earned a B, and I was still invited to three honor societies for my academic work.

It isn't the end of the world, but it's a reminder to be careful. Nobody will judge you for one B as long as it's the only one.

9. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Feb 9, 2015

I wouldn't be concerned if the other grades bring up your GPA high enough.

10. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2015

Literally no one will ever care except for you.

11. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Feb 9, 2015

I got a B- in TWO grad classes. One was because I forgot about a message board component in the class. The other, well honestly it should've been much lower but my professor knew I worked hard and the content wasn't easy. It only bothers me because I was a tenth of a point from graduating cum laude.

In the end, I really don't care who sees my grades. Just give me my salary bump. Plus the city school system is so huge, nobody I directly work with will even know my grades. No big deal.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2015

I got all As and one A minus in my grad classes. Killed me to have a 3.99 instead of a 4.0. I don't think ONE B is going to totally wreck your attractiveness as a candidate, but I wouldn't suggest getting more than one.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Feb 9, 2015

I wouldn't worry about the B.

I would refresh what you know about citations to avoid plagiarism. Academic misconduct would be something to worry about.

14. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Feb 9, 2015

I took a B in a course I took this past summer. I was extremely busy with moving, traveling, and preparing for the new school year. There was this really big, kind of ridiculous project required for the course. I weighed the pros and cons of not doing the project, just taking a B instead of the A I would otherwise be able to earn, and the pros won out. I submitted my transcripts with the B, got my salary increase, and no one ever said a word. I really don't think a B is a problem, even if you get another one at some point during your program. I mean, I would't go for straight B's, but one here or there isn't going to matter.

15. ClandeStan

ClandeStan New Member

Sep 29, 2015

Don't freak out. I had my portion of B's but I'm working all right.

As to the citation, I was recently helping my undergrad sister with her environment course research paper and she showed me a wonderful infographic on styles (can't post links, so pm me if you want)

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 29, 2015

This is what my first thought was...I'm very surprised at all of the other posts about making sure it's your only B or thinking it's a big deal. In my district the only person who would see the transcript would be the HR person who handles the paperwork. This person wouldn't be able to pick me out of a line up in person and I'm extremely certain they couldn't care less about what my grades are on the transcript. I know education courses are notoriously "easy" so maybe that's why some think it's embarrassing, but it's not like a B is even a bad grade!

17. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2015

I was ****** about an A- in a one credit grad class....

ETA. just saw I already responded...guess that shws how much that one A- annoyed me

18. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Sep 29, 2015

In theory, a grade less than an A isn't a big deal, but in reality... if you show a transcript to anybody with hiring power over you, and there's a grad school education class with a grade less than an A, you'll get some raised eyebrows.

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 4, 2015

Seriously?! I've never once been asked for transcripts in any job interview...or for my GPA, for that matter. I've gotten A's and B's...even 1 C in undergrad. I've always been employed.

Things that are way more important IMO:

• Demonstrating what you can DO versus just what you KNOW.
    • Having social skills. I'd take the 3.0 candidate who interviews well over the 4.0 candidate who's a weirdo. (Sorry.)
    • Being resourceful. I don't care if a candidate has a 3.2 if she's hauled in 5 parent volunteers and $4,000 worth of grant materials.
    • Being organized.
    • Loving kids!

I don't put much stock in teacher ed programs. A 4.0 reflects one's ability to play the game, and is not necessarily representative of higher intelligence versus a 3.6 or 3.2.

20. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Oct 5, 2015

I only ever received A's through my undergraduate degree and am about 2 weeks away from earning all A's through my graduate program. Saying that, I am surprised at how many people are saying how important it is. Right now I would be happy to earn a B if doing the work to earn an A took away from the classes I teach everyday. I figure that the good work I do and the good references from my current employers that this work will earn me will get me a lot further than another A on a transcript.

21. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 5, 2015

I don't think that it is a big deal. In my district no one would know unless you told them. The payroll clerk would check your hours, put the transcript in the files, and start your pay raise.

22. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 5, 2015

Only my HR people looked at my grad school transcripts, and that was for the hours completed and the official note that said I was done with the degree. They couldn't have given a horse's patoot that I had one B in with all those As. They wanted to make sure I was eligible for my pay scale change.

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 5, 2015

Oh dear. Reading these responses are making me shake my head.

IME, grades are sooooo over-inflated in education courses. I had a classmate once that decided he didn't want to give up some sport he was in on Thursday nights and skipped every single class. He was placed in groups for group work and didn't do a **** thing for the semester. He got a freaking B when everyone else got an A. I find it refreshing that you have an instructor that has actual standards.

My graduate work was over half content and some education courses. My cohort was filled with history and English majors. They all took the "teacher" version of graduate classes. I took actual science graduate courses. I was the only teacher in my classes. I got the second highest grade in one class. I got a B. One person got an A and everyone else got Cs and Ds. I'm **** proud of that B, especially considering it was my first class in almost two decades and my classmates were straight out of undergrad school.

To consider a B a bad thing is crazy, IMO.

24. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 5, 2015

Adding after reading more - I really think it will depend upon your undergrad and graduate degrees. Frankly, if someone gets a lot of Bs and Cs in elementary education, I'd think less of their skills than someone that got Bs and Cs in physics.

25. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 5, 2015

Honestly, I can't believe that there are so many people who are that worried about a B. No one cares. Really. I got quite a bit of Bs at the beginning of my grad school program and no one has bat an eye. I have even given my supervisor my transcripts every semester so he can keep track of my PD hours for certification. Bs in grad school are no big deal unless maybe you're planning to continue with a PhD. As long as you maintain a 3.0 or higher, you're fine. Just relax.
    I was also in a very grueling and fast tracked MA program where in order to maintain a 4.0, you really had to stay up all night every night and have no life at all, not even the weekends.l and sit in class for 10 hours a day on top of that. I took care of my health and sanity and I did fine.

26. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 5, 2015

It was my impression that once you get to the Masters level, people are only concerned with do you have a Masters degree or not. Nobody looks up the GPA, unless you intend to go further into a PhD.

27. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 5, 2015

I failed SO many undergrad courses. Seriously. SO many. I was going through some life drama and dropped out of school like 5 times. When you just stop going... you get an F. I went to 8 colleges throughout the 10 year period, sometimes 2 simultaneously. I left one school with a 0.075 GPA. Did you know that was possible? It is when you fail every class except a 1 credit lab that the teacher accidentally gives you a C for!

I ended up finishing my degree at some midwestern school that had an online program while I was "finding myself" exploring Europe. Ya know how many times my total of 15-30 Fs was brought up in conversation? Exactly 0.

Even with my Masters, all they cared was that i had it. No one congratulated me on the 4.0. No one cared. :p

28. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2015

My program was evidently very different from everyone else's.

If you don't care about having Bs, then have all the Bs you want. If your program requires As, though, then you better not get any Bs.

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 5, 2015

This.

30. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2015

My district wants GPA and transcripts

31. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Nov 1, 2015

My school wanted the official transcript, but as long as the grades were accepted by the university, I seriously doubt that a B would have gotten a second look. It is all about going through the motions, and I agree that if the university will accept it for credit, places of employment would be hard pressed to have much to say about it.