Masters before any teaching experience?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 1tarasue, Feb 19, 2013.

1. 1tarasue

1tarasue New Member

Feb 19, 2013

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and I need some advice. I am preparing to begin an education program online. I had thought that because I am changing careers it would be more valuable for me to get a Masters degree that also led to initial licensure. However, I recently spoke to a friend of mine who used to teach and she said that getting a Masters prior to having any experience would be a mistake... She said she had trouble getting hired because schools did not want to have to pay her more due to her advanced degree. Has anyone here had a similar experience or heard anything of that sort?

Any advice is greatly appreciated as I'm trying to figure how best to spend my financial aid money and secure a job as soon as I can. Thanks!

3. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Feb 19, 2013

I went through sort of a similar situation, what I did was take classes until I got my license addition, and then looked for a job right after adding that license area. I found a job and took two semesters off from grad school while adjusting to my new job, and I'm currently finishing my masters while employed - I'm even able to get tuition reimbursement from my employer, which is a great help.

That being said, I know of many teachers who have gotten a first teaching job after getting their masters - it probably depends more on the state you are in and the districts or schools you will be interviewing in. Some schools don't pay extra for having a masters degree, and some do. In my state the public schools do, so I think it can be harder for some teachers with a masters to get hired if they don't have experience, but again it just depends. I hope that helps some!

4. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Feb 19, 2013

I would echo that you need to be familiar with what is accceptable in the area where you hope to work. A master's isn't a problem in many areas, but in the area where I work, that would just make you more expensive and inexperienced.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 19, 2013

I agree that it depends on your area.

I got my masters before teaching, and it was no trouble for me, but 1) I got a job before all the mass layoffs and 2) I teach in a geographic area where we are always in need of teachers.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Feb 19, 2013

It didn't hurt me--I got my first job this year right after graduating with my masters. My geographic area is tough (NJ), but I think being in math helped.

7. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Feb 19, 2013

I was hired with no experience and a master's degree, as were two other teachers at my school recently. Of course, in my state every teacher needs a master's within five years so some districts don't seem to care either way.

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Feb 19, 2013

I got hired as a new teacher with a masters this year, as did 7 of my friends. I'm in California, where the job market is extremely tough. Maybe it makes a difference in some areas, but it doesn't seem to here.

9. 1tarasue

1tarasue New Member

Feb 23, 2013

Thanks!

:thanks:
    Thanks everyone for your input. I just began my Masters of Ed. program online this week. I figure if I have trouble getting a job it probably would have happened anyway and since I am acquiring all these loans I want a Masters to show at the end of it.

Trouble is, I'm not 100% sure about where I'll be when I start job hunting as my husband's job is a bit in the air and we'll probably move at least once more in the next couple of years.

Hopefully this is the right decision. I intend to make the most out of my second time in school, either way.

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 23, 2013

I say go for it anyway & I'm glad you started. I've always believed that if something's meant for you, you'll get it whether you already have a Masters or not. I worked on a Masters in Special Ed while still being a substitute teacher & I got hired the same summer I graduated. I was never really worried.