Masters and Teaching Credential in 1 year program?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jmemoirs, Nov 19, 2014.

1. jmemoirs

jmemoirs Rookie

Nov 19, 2014

I'm in California and I just got approved as a sub in LAUSD.
    Pay is phenomenal and benefits kick in after 100 days.
    I'm excited to be working, but I want to become a permanent high school.

I have my CBEST and Bachelor's degree in Sociology and plan to pass my CSET in the next couple months.
    But this Spring, I'd like to apply to a one year program with an institution that offers a Single Subject Teaching Credential and Master's in Education at the same time.

I'm sure it's a lot of work, but I'm more than ready for the workload if I can get both in one year.

Does anybody have any recommendations on which campuses in CA offer that program?
    Any personal experiences or people you know?
    And what the tuition would look to be?

Thank you so much

3. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Nov 19, 2014

Have you heard of any that offer both in one year? That just sounds insane to me. I've heard of two year, but not one year (unless you're doing credential-only).

4. MissyB

MissyB Rookie

Nov 20, 2014

Chico State has/had an 18 month program to get both, I knew a few people who decided to go that route but I didn't keep in touch so I'm not sure how things have gone since graduation.

5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Nov 20, 2014

I got my Masters and my credential with student teaching in 18 months. During my student teaching I wasn't taking any classes, and I know I couldn't have been able to handle it.
    Originally I wanted to do student teaching while still taking classes (I was with National University and I was taking online or evening classes), but couldn't because I didn't pass the CSET in time.

So if you do your student teaching while you're taking classes, you could technically get it done in 1 year but I don't recommend it. Student teaching is already difficult and hectic, you need all the time and energy to focus on it. taking classes would be an added hassle and you might quiet half way or your student teaching could suffer.

6. BroncoTeacher

BroncoTeacher New Member

Nov 21, 2014

I completed my masters and multiple subject credential in just under a year.. Yes it was chaotic at times, but I really felt ready when I stepped into my own classroom.

7. MissMae

MissMae Rookie

Dec 6, 2014

Check out iTeach in Arizona. Its a 1.5 year course with combo classes & student teaching. You get your cert first and masters last.

8. Rox

Rox Cohort

Dec 8, 2014

Don't be surprised if LAUSD has you work for 99 days, then tells you that you aren't needed anymore. It's stupid, but they've done that to several of my friends.

CSUN allowed me to get my credential and MA in special education in two years. They have night classes, great professors, and I took one class while doing my student teaching. I hated the workload, but made it through.

9. Abeja

Abeja Rookie

Dec 8, 2014

University of the Pacific has a partnership with TeachNow to offer a credential/masters in a little over a year. The coursework is all online. I almost went that route, but ended up going with LMU instead, which is going to take me over 2 years to complete.