Masters + 30 overqualified?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by The Fonz, May 18, 2014.

1. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

May 18, 2014

I have a question. This summer I start my second masters (Admin/Supervision) and after the program is done, if I don't find an assistant principal job I would like to find a teaching job in a higher paying district in the meantime.

Will I be overqualified since I will fall in the Masters + 30 pay scale? A lot of teachers I speak to said that i shouldn't worry about it, but I don't know...i'm kind of a worrier when it comes to jobs (I had a hard time finding a job my first year out of a college and I always fear of that situation again.)

What do you guys think? is this a legit fear?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 18, 2014

Masters plus 30 is not something to worry about...it shows you are a motivated learner and professional. Plus most starting salaries are negotiable regardless of what credits you've accrued.

4. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

May 19, 2014

I'm MA +45 (or more). During my latest job hunt that began last year and ended successfully recently, I found that in a school district with a healthy budget that hires for quality, that's no problem. In a school district with a weak budget that hires cheaply, it's a liability. But you don't really want to work in a district like that anyway.

5. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

May 19, 2014

I have two Masters degrees and have had no problems getting jobs when I have applied. I think the schools where you want to be will value your education and qualifications.

6. tonysam

tonysam Comrade

May 20, 2014

Some states like Oregon require you to eventually get a Master's degree, so it shouldn't be a hindrance, at least in getting the job.

7. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 20, 2014

True, but some people do not have this option. A job is a job especially if you live in region with a tight job market.

8. msleep

msleep Rookie

May 20, 2014

It wouldn't make you overqualified. But in a tight budgeted district it could be a hindrance but most likely not.

9. ayla

ayla Companion

May 20, 2014

I don't think it's a problem in VA, at least in Northern VA.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 20, 2014

In my district they probably wouldn't offer you the full steps on the guide at masters +30. My friend was started on step 1 of masters when she had been teaching for 8 years already with a masters. It may depend on the district but while they may want you, they may not fully pay you what you could be at on the guide.

11. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

May 21, 2014

That's what one of my coworkers said. I'm not looking to move into a lower paying/low budget district anyway. Like I said, when I'm all done I will be looking for an Assistant Principal position first and, as backup, moving into a higher paying teaching job until i find AP position.

I'm actually located in Northern VA...I have my eye set on a few districts that I want to apply for if I don't get an AP

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 21, 2014

How many years of regular, full-time classroom teaching experience do you have?

Being both educated and experienced isn't usually liability. Being heavily one or the other but not both can sometimes be a liability.