Master Schedule Favoritism

Discussion in 'High School' started by MirandaMilan, Jun 22, 2007.

1. MirandaMilan

MirandaMilan Rookie

Jun 22, 2007

I teach in a high school in which the curriculum administrator has all the power. Ever since it stopped being a department decision, I've been assigned first year algebra and WASL (our state 10th grade assessment) prep classes (for kids who haven't mastered middle school math yet.) I'd like to say it's because I'm good with them, but given the other teaching assignments, it's clear that it's a favoritism thing. Three of us have professionally expressed our dissatisfaction with the schedule in the past and been told if we don't like the way things are run, we should quit. This is not unique to our department. When a 2nd year teacher was just handed an AP class that I've been counting on for 3 years (waiting until enough students enrolled), I have to wonder whether it's time to move on. I just wonder whether this is common in other schools as well. I really like where I work, and I don't want to start over somewhere else, farther from home just because one person is a ... well, insert the unfavorable noun of your choice. Several people have also talked with the principal, but he kindly suggests we bring the issue up with the Curriculum Administrator.

Any ideas?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 22, 2007

As a math teacher, you can probably find a job elsewhere without too much trouble.

Have you seriously considered it?

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 24, 2007

At my school the master schedule is also up to the curriculum admin, but he's much more open to our input. Each department chair submits a department 'wish list' for the next year's schedule. Most chairs get together with the teachers in the department and arrange this schedule as a group. Some chairs make executive decisions, often assigning the 'best' classes to themselves. It really depends on which department you're in.

You might consider looking for another position elsewhere if it doesn't look like this admin is going away any time soon. Our schedules can sometimes make or break our state of mind, and good admins should know this and should be willing to at least try to accommodate our wishes.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jun 24, 2007

At our school it is up to the department itself, under the supervision of the chair, to figure out teacher course assignments. In my department, social studies, we sit together and decide what courses each of us is going to teach, if any of the MS teachers are going to change grades, or if any of any extra teachers are needed to teach a section of a course at the MS. We do this together making sure that each course has the best teacher teaching it.

6. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jun 24, 2007

At my old school it was also up to the curriculum administrator.
    I knew a teacher who hand picked what students he would want in his class so he wouldn't have to deal with the "troubled" students. As well as what classes he would teach. He's been teaching the same thing for I don't know how many years. And this is the same guy who was busted for DUI. The kids would bring up his mugshot on the computer. Needless to say I am not at the school anymore

7. MirandaMilan

MirandaMilan Rookie

Jul 24, 2007

Thanks

Thank you for your replies. I have and am seriously considering leaving the district, but it will require a much longer commute, and I enjoy teaching in the district in which I live. I'm also afraid that, if I leave the district, getting back in will be harder if I choose to do so in the future. Am I the only one who just marvels at how completely incompetent people become administrators? She's a retire/rehire at that. With many applicants for each administration posting, I don't understand why this person is costing the district tens of thousands more than another person would and is bringing down the morale of the entire staff.

8. EnglishMiss

EnglishMiss Rookie

Jul 25, 2007

Is there a possibility of changing to another school within your same district?
    Your story is disheartening, that an admin can be allowed to bring down everyone's morale, as you said. Makes me ever more grateful for mine - overall pretty good (though we're getting 2 new ones this year...); the schedule is handled at the department level mostly and even as a first-year teacher I got exactly what I requested for next year! yay!