Master Copy Organization

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LiterallyLisa, Sep 12, 2014.

1. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Sep 12, 2014

Today, I took a minute to look through some stuff that had been in my room since before I got there. Basically, I tossed a lot of it, and I had a bunch of empty binders left. It got me to thinking about my master copies and if I want to change how I am doing things.

It is only my second year, but the stuff I am collecting is piling up. I am currently using a filing cabinet with folders for both subjects. Each folder has a unit number on it. I feel like it is unorganized, otherwise.

So what do you prefer, binder or filing folders? Do you use something else or a little of both?

3. kaeco510

kaeco510 Companion

Sep 12, 2014

I use binders. I personally have found that my folders got wrinkled, shoved in the cabinet, and just didn't hold up as nicely as the binders. I usually use smaller binders and have one for each unit. The downside is that you end up with a lot of binders, but I store all of the ones I am not using and just keep the current unit binder out.

4. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 12, 2014

I'm a binder fan too. I only keep class sets of materials that I reuse every year.

5. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 12, 2014

Go green. Scan or store digitally. Less space, less waste, and editable.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Sep 13, 2014

I keep binders too. I also have a filing cabinet where I keep the extras that weren't used the previous semester. I copy from the filing cabinet folders, I plan from the binder.

Digital items are kept on flash drives. But I'm in a measly high school. I can't count on computers turning on within 20 minutes of pressing the power button. Or teacher laptops not being taken after hours for "updates" without prior knowledge. Or dedicated printers (20 teachers share one printer) being available when I have my planning period. Keeping a printed copy prevents me from having to print out another copy to take to the copy machine. I use less toner that way.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 13, 2014

I store as much as I can digitally neatly in folders on the computer.

For hard copies, I like filing folders as they are smaller, they take up less room, and I can be very specific about how I label it. For example, if I have a US History test on the Civil War, I can grab my Civil War folder and go make copies. This is easier to me than grabbing a whole binder for US History and then finding the place for Civil War.

I use a binder or two in math for really important things I use each year. I just don't have the space to have binders for everything.

8. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 13, 2014

I've started buying those presentation folders with the page protectors. So far I've only done that for math but it works great, I have two different ones for two different types of activities. Then for ELA I have a huge binder where I've organized master copies of articles. It was a lot of work putting it all together at first, but so worth it, now I slowly add to it as I aquire/create new things.

9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Sep 13, 2014

Digital! If I get a hard copy, I take it into our staff room and digitize it using our scanner that emails them as PDFs to my email address.

I save all materials on my Google Drive. When I need something, I search for keywords and find it. I recently went through and organized my Google Drive because things were everywhere so all of my curriculum is in one large folder that is about 3GB.

If someone needs to borrow something, I share the entire folder or parts of the folder with them, or even just that document, depending on how much access I want to give them.

10. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Sep 13, 2014

I hate binders. I put hanging files in my cabinet, and inside the hanging file I put a regular file folder with a label on it.

I also keep most of my masters digitally. Most things I use are online.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2014

Everything on my computer, backed up - of course.:2up: