Massage

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissScrimmage, Sep 26, 2010.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 26, 2010

Does anyone here go for regular massages? How often do you go?

I went yesterday for the first time. The massage therapist really worked my muscles, and I am still quite sore today. Is this normal? I'm wondering if it's worth it to go regularly.

3. fantasticfirst

fantasticfirst Rookie

Sep 26, 2010

I go about once a month. I would love to go more often, but it gets expensive.
    Remember to drink plenty of water before and after the massage. If you feel that you are too sore speak up. Tell the massage therapist that the pressure was too hard the last time. It may also take some time to find the right massage therapist.

4. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 26, 2010

I go the first Sat of every month, every now and then I'll sneak in an extra visit. Mine are 90 minute massages ($70). I know these visits help me a lot to keep my stress down, I love going.

You do need to drink plenty of water and take some Motrin before bed. If you are going to go to the same person, you should tell him/her that the pressure was too much. They know how to adjust for different people, just be honest.

5. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2010

I did a clinical massage at my chiro's office before school started and it was not pleasant at all. She did work out some of the problems I had, but also made new problems - parts of me were so sore, and I had a HUGE black and blue bruise on my lower back/butt area. I couldn't sit. My boyfriend grabbed my butt just messing around and I almost punched him. lol. And this was after I asked her several times to tone it down.

But I have gone for massages in a spa before and loved them. I don't know if they are as beneficial, but they are much nicer and relaxing. But also more expensive. The hot stones are sooo nice. And the atmosphere is always a lot nicer than the one I had in the doctor's office.

6. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 26, 2010

I have been going to the same person for about five years. I generally go once a month sometimes more often if I really have stiff spots. She is great at finding spots that need to be worked on.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 26, 2010

Yes, it is normal to be sore after a massage, especially your first one. Your massager therapist needs to massage those sore spots enough next time to work out the pain.

I have insurance that pays most of a massage cost. Gosh, I think I better make an appointment. I only pay $20.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 27, 2010

My massage therapist warned me that I would be sore afterwards. I guess I just wasn't expecting to be that sore!! I feel better today, and will give it another try in a few weeks.

9. John Lee

John Lee Groupie

Sep 27, 2010

I would LOVE to do that; I've always said WHEN I BECOME a regular teacher (i.e. paid a living wage), I would do exactly that--a monthly massage. I think being sore though, is a function of how vigorous the massage is, and what kind of shape the person is in.

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 27, 2010

There are different types of massages. Ask what kinds they offer, and do be honest that the last one was a bit too much and you were bruised.

I lovelovelove massage! But what I love more is acupuncture treatments. The needles do the work of the massage without much effort and don't hurt! But it is also expensive. My acupuncturist doc tells me she sees the same patterns in all the teachers she treats! Loss of energy and resulting tension. She explained to me that we have our regular old energy that gets stuff done in our lives, and we have a big reserve bank for when the regular energy gets used up. Well, guess what? Most teachers zap the regular energy and empty the reserves regularly during the school year. Then we get sick.

If I see her once a month for general upkeep, I feel pretty good and don't get sick. However, I mostly have to go see her for specific injuries or weird body freak outs. But massage can do a lot of the restoring of energy and releasing tension too.