Massage Therapy in special ed

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by wannabeteach, Oct 4, 2005.

1. wannabeteach

wannabeteach Rookie

Oct 4, 2005

Two of the boys in the class where I'm an assistant (both are autistic) respond very favorably to hand massages when beginning their spin out of control. I'm wondering if there have been any studies done regarding benefits of massage in special ed?

The first time I massaged one boys' hand it was more an attempt to take his mind off of the stimuli that was bothering him. I was surprised that it worked so I tried it again with a second boy and not only have his outbursts lessened, but he will now do some work with the promise of a hand massage when he's done.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2005

I wonder if that works like brushing therapy? My youngest son had been given that through his ot when he was very young.......two to three years old. This did help to cut down on overstimulation to touch, etc

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 4, 2005

I know it does wonders with relaxing stiff CP children. :)

I know with some of our autistic children, they like to have their back rubbed. It calms them down.

Lori

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 4, 2005

I know it does work wonders........for years I had to rub my son's back and head each night to get him calmed down enough to go to sleep at night......he could never get to sleep without me doing that.

6. TeachWildThings

TeachWildThings Comrade

Oct 5, 2005

The OT's also give deep pressure, which essentially is a massage. It really helps them & students with ADHD to calm & focus. One little guy (prek spe ed) I worked with had to be constantly redirected. So much so the little girl sitting next to him started giving him deep pressure! The OT & I couldn't stop laughing! Now that's a positive peer interaction~

7. zolar16

zolar16 Rookie

Oct 8, 2005

My OT recommends it for my students when they need a little decompression/sensory input. They LOVE it when we use lavender scented baby lotion and rub their hands and forearms. It's really easy to work in joint compressions when you're doing it, too.

8. psdlady

psdlady New Member

Oct 17, 2005

Two of my students get "brushed" through out the day. It is a life saver. It helps to relax and center them. One of my students with autism will actually go and get his brush if he is having a "melt down". He knows that it helps him. Just becareful , there are certian parts of the body that will when "brushed" will have the reverse effect and send them into a tailspin. (ie. belly). Also, I rub from the top of their head to their cheeks with pressure , it also seems to help ground them.

9. jcg

jcg Cohort

Oct 17, 2005

Keep asking the OTs most are wonderful resources if they have had any training in sensory integration!