Marzano Learning Scales

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Mar 7, 2014

Has anyone been acquainted with these?

Our district is becoming an "Art and Science of Teaching" district which is a framework developed by Marzano.

I've gone through all of the trainings, and most of the stuff seems really cool, but one that me and my fellow teachers who attended with me are still really confused by the learning scales.

I think I've figured out how to make them, but I don't know what to DO with them. They said it's for students to follow their learning progression, but I created them had them put them in their binders, and we never looked at it again. I need something more active that I can do with them that I can build into my units.

If you use them, how do you use them?

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Mar 7, 2014

I found that the proficiency scales were great for me as a way of thinking through the content, but did not necessarily work for my 10-11 year old kiddos. I use the I can statements developed in the proficiency scales with the kids and have them rate their understanding using the 4 point scale at the beginning, middle, and end of the lesson. I really like it as a way to keep them focused on the learning goal and their progress - it takes some modeling, and some accountability, but it has been useful.