Marzano and Kinder

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by puff5655, Oct 21, 2014.

1. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Oct 21, 2014

Hi group.

Our district is beginning to implement the Marzano system for teacher evaluation (anyone familiar with this?) and I'm concerned that many of the measures are not ECE-friendly. This is a big deal, as I will be forced to "improve" on the measures I am rated low in.

The two big things seem to be:
    -students being able to tell others what specific goals they are working on
    -students self-reflecting on a 4 point scale (1= I need to work on this skill, 4= I can teach others)

What are your thoughts on the developmental appropriateness of this? The point of these is to improve student motivation and control of their learning, but I don't feel that's needed in Kinder.

In ECE, kids don't care WHAT they are learning, they just love to learn and are curious about everything. If they are bored, something needs to change.

Thanks!

Sarah

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 21, 2014

I don't have anything good to say about Marzano. The years I had to work under this system were horrendous.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 21, 2014

My mom is currently working on making Marzano ECE friendly for her district. PM me your email address and I can forward it to her so you guys can collaborate on that.

5. puff5655

puff5655 Cohort

Oct 21, 2014

Thank you so much Miss Celia!