Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Were you in school or out?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Amanda, Jan 16, 2005.

?

Did you have school on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  2. No

31 vote(s)
    81.6%
  3. Not applicable/Outside U.S.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's a Teacher Workday

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Jan 16, 2005

I'm just curious who has (and who does not have) the day off!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jan 17, 2005

It's 9am and 3 degrees here in Ohio; I'm lucky to be at home!

4. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 17, 2005

My old school system has never celebrated MLK Day, or much of anything else, for that matter. Fall Break, Christmas, and Spring Break. That was it. NOTHING else, unless it snowed really, really deep. I'm off today because the college celebrates MLK Day, but it's a regular teaching day for my husband at the high school here.

5. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 17, 2005

All the public school's are open where I am located. Government jobs are off, not much else. I would imagine many school's would feel obligated to be closed other days as well if they were closed on MLK day (Columbus Day etc.) The government jobs have off on those other days as well, but not our school's.

6. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 17, 2005

The schools in my area have all holidays off....Labor day, Columbus day, Memorial day, President's day, MLK day....all of the "Monday holidays"

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 17, 2005

We're off Veteran's Day (but not a monday/friday, the actual day it falls on, odd!), Colombus Day, Labor Day, MLK Day, President's Day (or lIncoln's B-day, IL thinks it's a huge deal!), Casmir Pulaski Day (that's our March holiday, he was a Polish general in the Revolutionary War)...

8. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jan 17, 2005

Clarnet,

I think it's funny that you have Casmir Pulaski Day off from school because I have never heard of that holiday, but a school in the city I live in is named after him!

9. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 17, 2005

We never got off for anything except the ones I mentioned before, but we did get off for summer vacation the second week of May. Is your school year extended because of all the vacations?

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 17, 2005

We go until either the last week of MAy or first week of June, depending on the specfic districts... my school doesn't do inservice days (private school), but we're off 3 days for Thanksgiving, a week at spring break (we also often have Good Friday off, depending), and 2 weeks for Christmas... I still don't understand how, if we're going the same # of days as everyone else, we don't get out earlier...

We're basically out one holiday a month...

September- Labor Day
    October- Columbus Day
    November- Veteran's Day plus Thanksgiving
    December- Christmas/Winter break
    January- MLK Day
    February- President's Day
    March- Pulaski Day (plus spring break the last week)
    April- Good Friday, if it falls here, or Spring break is usually the beginning of the month)
    May- Memorial Day

Then we get out 1st week in June.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 17, 2005

The kids had off today but the teachers did not. Since I work at a Catholic school we had a spiritual retreat this morning. We got there at 9 and left at 12:30. It was nice but could have used one more day to sleep in.
    This afternoon my mom and I went to see Meet The Fockers..it was great!

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 17, 2005

Professional day for teachers- no kids!! (so is that a yes vote, we had school- I did, or no because the kids did not so I didn't teach?!)

13. Amanda

Jan 17, 2005

I added that option!

14. diggerdeb

diggerdeb Comrade

Jan 17, 2005

We start school the Wed. after Labor Day and go until the third week in June. We are in session 180 days.

New York

15. Amanda

Jan 17, 2005

Okay, so I added an option AFTER the poll started... not very scientific. However, someone contacted me about changing their vote to the "teacher workday" option, and I can do that. Just send me a PM and tell me what your original vote was for.

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jan 17, 2005

WE had school. We weren't supposed to BUT hurricane IVAN had other plans. We also lost our day in February... president's day or something. We don't get off again until SPRING BREAK March 21st!!!!! I feel a cold coming on about mid-Feb... LOL. Gonna have to take a sick day!

Lori

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jan 17, 2005

There is a lot of debate over our being out today. We aren't out for Veteran's Day, President's Day, any other holidays like that, but we are out today. It seems a little like we are choosing the ones we think are important enough to honor.

18. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jan 18, 2005

We were the only school in at least 3 counties to have school yesterday. *sigh* Oh well, I tell myself maybe that will help us get out one day earlier than the others in the summer, lol.

19. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

Jan 18, 2005

The school systems in my area are all out for MLK day. Sometimes a school chooses to make it a professional development day, but the kids never go. The second year that I taught, our school system was out for about 4 days with a severe flu epidemic. They chose to make up one of those days by using MLK day. It caused a huge uproar, the news was there and we got a lot of bad press for not respecting minorities. I'm not sure that was the case, but since then no one even offers to have class on that day.

20. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 18, 2005

Why is it that people automatically throw a tantrum when something like that happens? Makes no sense to me and I come from a multicultural family. People need to grow up and move on.

21. Prissypants

Prissypants Companion

Jan 18, 2005

I don't know. I really didn't feel like the school system was making light of the holiday or the man behind it. They just saw it as a good opportunity to make up a missed day. Still, it caused a big stink, and it made all of the local districts terrified of going to school on MLK day.

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 18, 2005

When I was in 6th grade, I didn't think it was fair that our district was out for MLK Day but NOT for President's Day... I actually got a letter printed in the newspaper (kid's section) about "Without MLK, we wouldn't have equal rights, I understand that... but without the Presidents, we wouldn't havem uchc of a country."

23. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jan 18, 2005

I remember when I was growing up there was school on MLK Day but you could opt to not attend school and not be marked absent.

24. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 18, 2005

OH my god!! How old are you people? MLK day was only created and recognized starting with Reagan!! I"M OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

25. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Jan 18, 2005

So am I.

26. CWCA

CWCA Rookie

Jan 18, 2005

MLK day was scheduled as a day off. Of course yesterday's freezing rain would have cancelled school if it weren't.

27. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 19, 2005

I think prissypants was just trying to make a point in telling how the city/district took it all wrong when they had school on MLK day. I don't think she said anything about why or how the day was created. She simply stated that people assumed (which happens a lot) what the reasoning behind it was and that it was uncalled for. As for old, I am old enough, but I'm not a grandma. And I believe clarnet was just making a point in saying that equal rights goes both ways, not just one. I understand!!!

28. 2nd grader

2nd grader Rookie

Jan 20, 2005

Our district had something similar happen when they wanted to make up school on Memorial Day. Our school district is 75% military???
    Of course, they opted not to. Holidays are to honor people for what they have done, what has weather got to with them. I can't imagine them wanting students to make up school on Presidents Day or Thanksgiving, but feel compelled to cancel other days seemed less important.