martin luther king for 2nd grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by jitterbug2, Jan 15, 2007.

1. jitterbug2

jitterbug2 Rookie

Jan 15, 2007

What do you think is appropriate for teaching Martin Luther King in 2nd grade? I have two students that pretty much know everything there is to know about him, but the rest of my class is pretty sheltered and they don't know who he is. I want to do him justice for my two kids without scaring the rest of my class. What do you suggest?

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jan 15, 2007

edhelper.com has some good stories that you can read with the class that focus on him. in my opinion, every child can use a refresher on him and what he stood for. I don't think that the kids who know about him would mind learning more about him at all. :)

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jan 15, 2007

We did a bit on MLK when I was student teaching in 2nd. We read My borther MArtin, which is written by his sister. There are other ones I like for younger kids, but that book was GREAT for my group. It's got enough history and fact that it challenges them a bit without being over their heads. They journaled about "If MLK was here today" or something along those lines. Their responses were a LOT deeper than I had anticipated.

I got chills when one of my kids goes, "Then I wouldn't be friends with K." because she understood what an impact it had had.