Marks left on Dry Erase Board :(

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cheeryteacher, May 14, 2008.

1. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 14, 2008

When I try to erase my dry erase board there are always marks left on it. Students cand see the work that we did in previous classes, and I'm always scrambling to try to get the board clean. No matter how hard I scrub, there are marks. I am doing a lot of problem solving, and I don't want classes coming in to see how to solve the problem before they try it themselves. I have expo cleaner ($$ too expensive to use as much as I need to), but I'm wondering is there anything I can do to the board so that it erases cleanly.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 14, 2008

I've found that certain cleaners leave a residue that seems to make those marks stick around. You'll want a cleaner that leaves no residue at all... plain water works fine, especially if you use a terrycloth towel instead of a paper towel. The Expo cleaner is good, but it is expensive. You can also get plain old Windex (not the fancy stuff--just the basic Windex), or use a mixture of water and vinegar.

It could be that your board is damaged from overuse of cleaning products. In that case, keep a supply of terrycloth kitchen towels or bath rags and a spray bottle of water or Windex. Use that stuff after every time you use the board--don't use the regular erasers at all.

4. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

May 14, 2008

I'm not sure what it's called, but they do make a dry erase board refinishing product. The custodial staff at the college has worked wonders with some of the boards there. There have been a couple that I was sure would need to be replaced, but they use this stuff and it's almost as good as new. I'll try to ask what it is the next time I'm there (none of them speak english, and my spanish stinks).

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Baby Wipes work on mine.

6. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

May 14, 2008

Try one of those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers

7. heart4kids

heart4kids Rookie

May 14, 2008

I had this problem earlier in the year and it drove me crazy! I read somewhere on the internet to use the expo markers that were NOT low odor. I got some and they erase beautifully! I hope this works for you.

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

May 14, 2008

I can clean my mini white board at home with rubbing alcohol and all the marks come off completely, like new. Don't know if it is a different material for school ones, though.

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

May 14, 2008

Just coming on to suggest this! They stink a little more, but wipe off nicely!

10. JustT

JustT Comrade

May 14, 2008

There is a film on the dry erase board that regular solvents can remove and make more porous to the colors the markers leave behind. If you still have the film on, you can use your dry erase markers to colour ontop the mark and wipe off before it dries.

This also works if you accidently marked your dry erase board with permanent marker. I accidently did this one day and thought it was permanent mark on the board, but another teacher suggested colouring it with the dry erase marker and wipe. It worked! Not kidding.

11. Emma35

Emma35 Connoisseur

May 14, 2008

When I used a white board I only used Windex, cheap and always got it clean. Now I use my Smartboard all the time and rarely use the whiteboard so it stays shiny clean!

12. forkids

forkids Cohort

May 14, 2008

I read on another thread in the past to wax the individual boards with car wax to make them easier to erase. I haven't tried it, but maybe it will work for you.

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

May 14, 2008

That works for shower-board that you make into white boards, but NEVER turtle wax a real white board. You will ruin it!

Use the stinky expo brand markers. They come off.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 14, 2008

Baby wipes work for me.

15. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 15, 2008

Baby wipes left residue on mine... I am going to try the terry cloth towel thing next year- I also rarely use mine due to my document camera. It will be nice to keep it shiny/clean.

16. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 15, 2008

Beware of ammonia

Beware! Ammonia based cleaners, although extremely effective, DO gradually strip the slick outer layer of the whiteboard off, making it eventually harder and harder to erase the board. It's a long-term thing to worry about, but something to think about.

I know it seems like a scam, but that's why they have the special cleaner. Baby wipes, as people said, or other soap-type surfectants are pretty good, and won't eventually wreck the whiteboard.

17. kilgore_trout

kilgore_trout Rookie

May 15, 2008

Sorry if I sound like I'm on a soapbox (no pun intended) -- I've been teaching in two classrooms, one with a windex afficianado and one with the terry-cloth and water thing, and it's been driving me crazy. We used to keep a busy daily schedule up on a whiteboard in my old office -- we went through about five before we figured this out. I think we used water and occasionally vinegar and water now that I think about it, eventually.

18. letsteach

letsteach Comrade

May 15, 2008

Totally off cleaning products but connected to whiteboards. I was told to clean my board using vertical strokes. If you clean using horizontal strokes you twist and shake your bum to the class!!!

At a Special Ed PD for autism and Aspergers, one teacher recounted how one of her students called out, "Mrs Patterson, you need a teacher aide to clean your board". "Why's that?", asked Mrs Patterson, reply "because your bottom wouldn't wobble so much"!!!! The diet started immediately!

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

May 15, 2008

I use lysol wipes, and I have also used germ-ex. Both work well. :)

20. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 15, 2008

Thanks for all of the responses! I used the expo spray and a terry cloth towel I had to clean the board in between classes yesterday. The marker erased cleanly. I used to use the expo wipes, but there would still be marks after the next class. I only use the expo stinky markers, so it's not the markers to blame. I'm thinking of asking the janitor what he uses to clean the board. If the cleaner he uses leaves a residue, it might lead to it being harder to erase the dry erase marker.
    Another reason I think it might be what the janitor uses: I was in the class next door and some kids were writing on the board. When they were done and erased, marks were left.

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

May 15, 2008

After using the BABY WIPES, I wipe it dry with a cloth. Shiney and clean...

22. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

May 15, 2008

I second the "Mr. Clean Magic Erasers" They work great

23. singingstacy

singingstacy Rookie

May 15, 2008

I had this problem and NOTHING would get it clean. Not even the expensive stuff. Finally, I used plain old Alcohol and with some elbow grease (okay, lots of elbow grease :) ) it came off.

24. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 15, 2008

25. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Jan 13, 2011

I just found this thread and I am having the same problem. I am a first year teacher and my board was fine at the beginning of the year. But at some point during the first semester my board just started leaving the faint marks that people are speaking of. Our district has like 50 of the expo solution bottles and I began the year with expo wipes. I have only used the solution, the wipes, or water all year. And the janitors do not clean my board. The kids here have personal space issues and they may have sprayed the other bottle that I have labeled disinfectant on there but I am not sure about that.

I just used the expo spray and dried it off. It was with a paper towel and not a cloth. As I sit here and watch them tally up homecoming votes on my board I see the board looking like an absolute mess.

Did anyone fid any solutions to this? Did anyone find out about refinishing the board?

26. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2011

I use either the spray on windshield de-icer spray and a clean tissue or use some of the alcohol hand gel that we were all supplied with last year to fight off the swine flu! That works a treat as well and doesn't run off the board!

27. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jan 14, 2011

I second the Mr. Clean erasers. I used to use those only - never the regular eraser - works like a dream!!!!

28. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2011

Another tip If you use a permeant marker by accident on a whiteboard....... write over (trace over) it with a regular whiteboard dry marker and wipe it fast before it dries it works like a charm.

29. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 15, 2011

You really love those baby wipes, Grammy!

30. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jan 15, 2011

Does it work if you wipe it with a baby?:rolleyes:

31. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Jan 15, 2011

I bring a clean washcloth to school every Monday and use that as my eraser for the week (if it lasts that long). I have found that the washcloth erases my board all the way as compared to dry erase erasers! My husband always teases me about bringing home dirty wash clothes, but it's worth it to me!