Marking the Reading Rug for Designated Seats

Discussion in 'General Education' started by paperheart, Aug 6, 2013.

1. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 6, 2013

I teach PK-5 graders at various times throughout the day. When they enter the library they usually sit on the library reading rug. I feel like it takes too long getting everyone settled.

Ideally, I would like a reading rug that has rows of squares or other shapes so students can tell where to sit and won't sit on top of each other, but I inherited a rug that is staying around for awhile.

If the rug was plain, I would just mark the rug into a grid with duck tape and be done with it, but it has a cute design making that a poor option.

What do you do to mark your rug? Is there a type of tape that works best? Duck tape left sticky dirty marks when it comes off. Also, so much foot traffic made the duck tape squares I put last year come off quickly, causing more confusion because students could not find a "dot" to sit on and did not know what to do. We tested the floor tape the janitor used to mark the tiled hallway floor, but it did not last at all.

I would like to have assigned spots for efficient use of time, but need a way to mark the spots.

What has worked for you?

My planned solution so far is to continue to use duck tape but with several strips for each spot, label them with numbers so I can assign and communicate where to sit, and assign a few student helpers to keep up with the dots for me, but I would love to hear your ideas.

:thanks:

3. jlj

jlj Devotee

Aug 6, 2013

I always let them sit where they want (with a few exceptions now and again :)). Once seated I would ask them to draw an imaginary circle around them. That was their personal space they were to stay in. If going to the carpet upon entering the library maybe have them remain in line and sit in rows or around outer edge of carpet.

4. live

live Companion

Aug 6, 2013

Could you mark rows along one side of the rug? Either using tape, cones, shapes, or whatever as markers. Then just have 5 (or however many) students file into that row as they walk in.

After they practice and learn the procedure, including how much space to leave in their row, it'd keep the order while eliminating the need to tape up the rug.

5. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 7, 2013

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried a lax come in and sit down and lets get started approach last year, but I want something more controlled this year. It was far too much energy and some Pre-Kers just didn't get what to do unless I specifically gave them a spot to sit. I also need kids to sit in assigned spaces because of the instructional demands within my school. The space assignments would put them near their partners and their groups so time is not wasted with transitions.

6. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Aug 7, 2013

This works to a certain degree as I did it with one class last year. I'll have to give it some thought. Thanks!

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Aug 7, 2013

Last year one of our teachers marked her floor red Velcro. She used the hook side. It stayed all year, but we do have a level loop carpet, so I'm not sure how it will work on other types.