Maritime Canadian friends

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Aliceacc, May 20, 2011.

1. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

My mom was saying yesterday that she's never been to Nova Scotia and would love to go there.

I'm thinking of putting together a vacation. (Wish I could pay for it, but that isn't happening. Though if the price were right, I would love to accompany her.)

She's 80, but able bodied-- she lives on her own and drives locally.

I was thinking of 4 or 5 nights in Halifax, then taking tours in and around the city.

(Mom's parents were from Newfoundland, so she's been there a number of times. She and dad also went to Quebec and Montreal and Niagara Falls-- so she's really interested in Nova Scotia, not a more extensive tour or cruise.)

Any suggestions? Hotels, things to do...anything??

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2011

Is the Bay of Fundy where they have the reversing tide?

As kids we drove from NY to Newfoundland. (Well, we drove part of the way, then grandma-- who was accompanying us-- got sick,and we flew from Moncton (sp??) to St. John's.) But I still remember the Reversing Tide.

If I did go along, we would have a lot more flexibility-- I could rent a car.

Of course, I still haven't mentioned this to mom or to Peter; I want to have a better idea of what I'm talking about first.

5. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

May 20, 2011

I went when I was younger. We stayed at the Delta Barrington hotel, which was just a walk away from the waterfront/boardwalk. We also happened to be there when the Tall Ships came in which was really neat. I also remember the "Barrington Bear" delivered cookies and milk to kids at bedtime but I don't know if they still do that!

http://www.deltahotels.com/en/hotels/nova-scotia/delta-barrington/

We were only there for a couple days but I still have very fond memories of it and would love to go back.

6. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

May 20, 2011

We have been to Nova Scotia several times because we love it there. Halifax is great. They have a nice little downtown area and a wonderful Maritime museum with artifacts from the Titanic
    (many bodies were brought to Halifax) and there is a cemetary where many of the people lost on the Titanic were buried. There are some Titanic tours if that is an interest. If you can, go to the north where Cape Breton is-it is trail along the coast is gorgeous.
    Antigonish has the Highland games in the summer and Digby has the best scallops. We also went whale watching here and it was great.
    Can you tell I love Nova Scotia? And it is a LONG drive from Florida!