Marfin's Disease

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Peachyness, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 4, 2009

My brother's doctor told him that he may have Marfin's Disease. Unfortunately, my brother doesn't have health insurance and is too old to qualify for medical, and too poor to afford anything. He's still in college. I'm super worried about him as he is always complaining of chest pains and his ekg's are not normal. But, no one is doing anything. I'm super worried and frustrated.

Anyways, does anyone know of someone who has Marfin's disease? Is it life threatening? I'm too afraid to look it up as I always start to freak out.

3. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 4, 2009

There should be a community health center in his area and they have sliding health fee scales so you can get the help you need and pay what you can afford. That's what I did in college when I didn't have health ins. and very little money.

Or check with a local hospital and ask about their sliding fee schedule or how they help people who don't have insurance that may need treatment.

He should definately be told what to do to manage his health. I looked up Marfan syndrome online.

4. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 4, 2009

5. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2009

Peachy, I have never heard of Marfin's Disease, but my prayers go out to your brother and family.
    Bless you.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 4, 2009

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 5, 2009

I have a nephew with Marfan. He lives in Europe, and seems to be fine, with bouts of pain.

8. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Mar 5, 2009

If he is too poor and doesn't have insurance wouldn't he qualify for Medicaid?

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 5, 2009

One of my best friends from high school had a major case of Marfan Syndrome. The man was 7'1" by the time we were 16, but he was extremely brittle. Keep a close check on your brother's heart condition, since one of the possible side complications seems to be a weak aorta.

The GOOD news is that the National Marfan Foundation is looking for volunteer patients, so he could get some treatment for free. Have him check http://www.marfan.org/nmf/GetContentRequestHandler.do?menu_item_id=49

He (and you) will definitely stay in my thoughts.

10. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Mar 5, 2009

How old is your brother? I have taught several children with Marfan's syndrome. Symptoms include elongated limbs and joints and weak blood vessels. The girls all managed to get throuigh school without too much trouble and took part in everything. One of them is now a mother and had a natural birth.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 5, 2009

I've never heard of it, but I hope your brother gets the help he needs!

12. Ross

Ross Comrade

Mar 5, 2009

Part of your research should include looking up Dr. Donald Nuss of the Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters in Norfolk, Virginia. Although your brother may be to old to be a patient of Dr. Nuss, perhaps his office can guide you to the best care in this country.