Marble incentive

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by bethany1120, Sep 18, 2006.

1. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 18, 2006

I have read in various postings about using the marble in the jar when the class does something good. I love this idea and am thinking about using it, but I just wanted to know if those of you who have it in your classroom, do you have problems with students constantly telling you they should put a marble in the jar for doing something good? That is my only concern with this activity-that the students will think they should be rewarded everytime they are doing what they should be doing anyways. Any thoughts?

3. SpaceAngel

SpaceAngel Comrade

Sep 18, 2006

I would say if you ask, I won't put in a marble.....and if it persists, maybe even take one out.

4. kinderblocks

kinderblocks Rookie

Sep 18, 2006

I use a marble jar in my classroom. I put the marbles in when I see the class do something good together or sometimes if I notice a student doing something well. This might be walking in the hall, saying "please" or "thank you", working quietly. When we get the jar full we have a reward. So far, we got the jar full once. I had the students vote on what they wanted to do to celebrate. I keep it pretty simple. I had them vote for eating lunch in the classroom or having an extra recess in the afternoon. I was surprised but the majority voted to have lunch in the classroom with me. I also take out marbles if they are not behaving. Such as, I am trying to get the class to listen to me and they are not, nothing gets their attention like me taking out a handful of marbles. I really like this system and it works for me. Good luck!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 18, 2006

I do something similar, but I wall it my warm fuzzy jar and I put in warm fuzzies when they "all" do something well. I use those pom poms but you could use cotton balls as well. If all of my students line up quietly, or do a good job during circle time, work well with each other during workshop time, etc., then I put in a warm fuzzy. This makes everyone work together. If one person isn't cooperating, then I won't put in a warm fuzzy. Servere? Sure, but they really have learned to remind each other and work with each other. They know that I won't ignore their behavior if everyone else is doing a good job. And so far, they haven't really asked for any warm fuzzies.

6. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 18, 2006

My students love the marble jar! I drop marbles in for the same reasons other people listed above. I'm starting out the year with a small jar, that way the students could receive their incentive faster. As the year goes on, I'll make the jar bigger. My students received their first reward (popcorn party) on the second week of school and will probably fill the jar up again sometime this week. I also let individual students go to the jar and drop some marbles in... they love that! I haven't had anyone ask for me to fill up the jar. They will remind me to fill it up when I ask them to (for example, we're walking in the halls quietly and I ask the students to remind me to drop some marbles in the jar when we get in the room.) The marble jar has been a huge hit in my class.

7. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Sep 18, 2006

I use something similar, I add a link to our chain when we get a compliment in the hallway, because that has been a BIG problem, walking in the hallway, and when it gets a certain lenth we have something special. They LOVE it when they get a compliment. Hope this helps some.

8. Maithal

Maithal Cohort

Sep 18, 2006

I work in first grade and we do something similar. Instead of a marble jar, we have a cube jar (math manipulatives) we use. When the jar is filled up, we vote on an treat/reward. So far, nobody has asked to have cubes placed in the jar.

9. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2006

I have been incorporating the marble in the jar incentive also. The kids are sooooo excited about it. But I only put marbles in the jar when the kids get a compliment from someone throughout the day. Like from the art teacher, music teacher, gym teacher, another teacher in the hallway or even if a teacher enters our room and give us a compliment. They get 1 marble for those compliments. If they get a compliment from the Principal or A. Principal, then they earn 3 marbles!!! So that limits them asking for a marble. They know that they only get a marble when they get a compliment. :D We have a different incentive program for individual good behavior and a different one for group behavior. I think breaking the responsibility down into three diff. opportunities for a "pat on the back", then it makes the classroom run smoother. One individual, one group and one class incentive. I love it and the kids love it.

10. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 19, 2006

Thanks for the ideas everyone! I am going to try the marble jar, and I will lay it out right away that if they continually ask to put marbles in the jar, I will have to take some away (I have a lot of kids in my room who I know will be askers otherwise!).

11. SarahnVA

SarahnVA Rookie

Sep 19, 2006

I use the marble jar for walking in the hall way. On good days we put a marble in, on bad days we take one out. If it gets full we will have extra recess, new center, new books, etc.