MAPS for second grade

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by jsais, Apr 24, 2012.

1. jsais

jsais Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

I am getting ready to administer the MAPS test to my second graders for the first time. I am very familiar with what is on the MAPS test for the older kids, but I'm not at all familiar with the Primary test. Can anyone tell me what concepts are tested in math? Any tips you can give me for preparing the little ones would also be appreciated!

Thanks!

3. TripleTeach

TripleTeach Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

Can you go on the NWEA website and check the Descartes?

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2012

I agree with checking Descartes. Also, work on using the mouse and keyboard with the little guys.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Apr 24, 2012

When I prepare my class for the test, I do not worry about the content. I figure they either know it or they don't at this point!

What I do practice is test-taking strategies. They need to understand how to read the entire question, and every answer before choosing one. They need to understand the importance of taking their time and trying their best.

A few simple things my students get confused on:
    -Compound words: They will show 2 pictures (say, a dog and a house) and just ask "What is the new word?" For some reason, this confused many of my students.
    -Basic algebra: instead of saying 5 + 3 = ? they will say "5 + 3 = n. What does n = ?" I do not use letters, symbols, etc. too often during math, so this confused many students.

Many of the issues they have with the test is just not understanding the wording, and not taking the time to read it carefully. It is very frustrating to watch them take the test, because they know the answers, but don't understand the questions.

6. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 25, 2012

I agree that accessing the Descartes would be the most helpful to know what's going to be assessed, but I'm not sure it would be too helpful in short-term test prep. Generally the concepts follow the scope and sequence of the state or common curriculum, so if you're teaching according to your governing scope & sequence, you probably wouldn't be too far off.