MAP testing

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Marci07, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 5, 2011

Our school started using MAP testing for the first time this year and as students are taking the last of the 3 tests, teachers are starting to panic about students not making much progress or any progress at all.

Today, a couple of teachers complained that a couple of students whose scores didn't show progress had to answer reading questions about passages that are only found in higher grades curriculums.

Since it looks like the school is moving towards teacher's evaluations based on students' progress, teachers are panicking and thinking that this may not be a fair test to measure progress.

Does anybody else use MAP? What are you experiences with MAP?

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2011

We have used Map for awhile now. We don't tie it to evaluations yet...

I like the Map as one aspect of my data. The data that it gives are useful when I group students and look for practice activities.

However, students can drastically change their score (I've had one student go 30 points up) from day to day. It really depends on the students and the questions that they get.

However, on average, I tend to see the recommended growth based on NWEA norms from my students. Some less, some more...but on average (2-3 points reading and 6-7 points math from fall to spring).

4. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 5, 2011

I've had the same experiences as mopar generally, but agree with your observation that scores can fluctuate wildly based a few questions right or wrong. MAP data, in my opinion, is generally less helpful for instructional planning because it's not frequent enough to show small changes in growth that would be helpful in instructional planning. Also, there aren't enough questions with each component skill (e.g., cause and effect) to draw conclusions about specific skills. Because of both of those things, informal formative assessment has been more helpful to me.

MAP can be helpful as a norm-referenced measure of growth in reading comprehension, though, given that CBM data doesnt have an excellent measure in that area, of course assuming it's reliable for that particular child.

Another benefit is that the measures dont change each year - unlike CBM, there aren't first grade probes, second grade probes, etc., with scores that have to be translate to compare across years. This makes it easier to compare scores over multiple years.

NWEA also does correlations between MAP scores and state test scores in most states, although these are limited because state test scores are correlated with SPRING MAP scores (at least last time I checked - could have changed), which makes it hard to make good predictions with fall and winter scrores.

In terms of teacher evaluations, I agree with mopar - multi-method, multi-rater is better than using any one assessment, but unfortunately I've heard a lot of schools not doing this.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 6, 2011

My former P just found some research questioning the validity of MAP testing.

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Apr 6, 2011

Used it, didn't like!! The kids didn't pay attention, therefore the scores were not accurate!

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Apr 7, 2011

I'd be interested in that czacza if you happen to talk to your former P and learn where she found it - sounds interesting.

8. Teachings4Me

Teachings4Me Companion

Apr 20, 2011

We just started using it this spring. Just got my results back, although I don't know what they mean. I got a big folder of information to look through during spring break and some online training modules to help... This is my reminder to do it, thanks!
    (Sorry, I was no help!)

9. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 20, 2011

The school I student taught at used it. I'm not sure about my personal feelings on it- they were giving my 5th graders passages/poems from Macbeth, Faulkner, and Walt Whitman. I only was there for the September and Decemember tests. However, every student, but one, increased by at least 3-6 points in both reading and math between those two dates. One student decreased their score in both reading and math by 1 point.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

The test is self adjusting...not all 5th graders get the same questions.

11. LUCHopefulTeach

LUCHopefulTeach Habitué

Apr 22, 2011

I know but it was extremely upsetting for some of my students. I tried to explain it multiple times to my students but some were so upset and felt so overwhelmed by some of the advanced questions.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

3-6 points in math is average, but 3-6 points in reading is incredible. The national average is about 6-7 points increase in 5-8th grade in math in a year and 2-3 points in reading in a year.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 22, 2011

Did you read the directions to the students? It explains how the test will push to higher questions until it finds students' levels of understanding. Why are kids feeling so much pressure? We use the assessment mostly to inform instruction.

14. teacherhoosier

teacherhoosier Companion

Apr 25, 2011

I'm not very happy with MAP right now..well, not MAP I guess, but the time they're making us give it to kids...Since ISTEP is this week, we have to take the test after 12...not early in the morning when the kids are their sharpest..and plus, we can't move our testing window..needless to say, us primary teachers aren't very happy..

15. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Apr 25, 2011

I think that it is important to keep the testing time each year the same for the kids to really see their growth and change throughout the year.

16. beckaloulou

beckaloulou Rookie

Apr 25, 2011

I also am in Indiana ...NWEA has a testing window of I think 3 or 4 weeks. So you do not have to do it at all during ISTEP and if your school has picked to do testing during ISTEP then have the K-2 do it next week because they do not ISTEP

17. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Apr 30, 2011

So, about 25 out of 98 students didn't make any gains or went down. I'm feeling down about this. Some students shocked me since they do very well in my class and I can't see why the scores didn't match their performance in the classroom.

Is 25 out 98 normal in 8th grade? Most primary grades got better gains.

18. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 5, 2011

I'm not in 8th but we take our Map testing for math today...I'm a little excited to see the scores and the growth.

I know that on average, I have 2-3 students out of 30 that make no growth or fall down across testing sessions (fall, winter, and spring). Hopefully I'll remember to share Monday after we get our results back.

19. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 9, 2011

From fall-spring I had 6 students out of 58 not make gains or drop. However, most of these students showed gains from fall to winter....

20. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 9, 2011

From fall in spring in reading I had 4 out of 29 not make gains or go down.

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 9, 2011

All of my kids went up in math, and the average gain was almost 15 points!!! Wahoo!!!!

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

May 9, 2011

For reading, 3 out of 17 went down or made no gains (and 2 more went up 1). The average gain in reading was 7.5 points, which is right about typical.

In language, I had two go down. The average gain was 9 points.

I do notice that it's often my kids who did very well in the fall who show little growth--often it's hard for them to replicate that, especially if they happened to "guess" well and score a little above where they actually are.

23. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 9, 2011

Ama---I completely agree. I had a student who outperformed all his other scores and all my other students in the fall. He was still very high in the spring....just not as high as his fall scores.