Many Part-timers out there?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by miss tree, Sep 16, 2011.

1. miss tree

miss tree Rookie

Sep 16, 2011

When I left teaching over a year ago i swore I'd never take on a full-time load again. Now I'm considering going back part-time and was wondering if there are many part-timers out there and what your experiences are?

I know a lot of administrators look down on part-time teachers, but work hours these days are becoming much more flexible and this should apply to teaching also. I know for a fact that I will be a much better teacher if I can get part-time work because it was the work/life balance (or lack thereof) that drove me away from teaching.

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Sep 16, 2011

We don't have any part time teachers.

I suspect schools/admins would look for a teacher that can handle a full time job and do the job well over a part time teacher that can do the job well. There is way more to being a good teacher (good stuff and not so good stuff) than teaching.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2011

It does happen sometimes in secondary ed-- a teacher will teach 2 or 3 classes per day instead of a full load of 5. (The positions are referred to as .4 or .6 positions.)

As I understand it, they don't have the normal duties (homeroom, study hall, cafeteria duty...) but also frequently don't have a benefits package. They do have to find a way to be there for school events (like Parent orientation and the 4 times a year Parent conferences) and to offer extra help.

Some of our teachers have done part time either as a returning mom with small kids at home, or shortly before retiring. No one "looks down" on them. Their job description is simply different from mine.

But I think the availabilty of part time jobs is probably a whole lot more limited than full time. Administrators with an extra class or two to cover usually just ask teachers to pick up an extra class for a year, and pay them accordingly. It's just easier than hiring someone else. The only people I know who have worked part time are people who already had a relationship with the school-- great teachers the administration knew and didn't want to lose entirely.

But I do disagree with this statement:
    "work hours these days are becoming much more flexible and this should apply to teaching also. " I don't see those work hours as becoming a whole lot more flexible. I started teaching in 1980, and 31 years later I'm working the same hours I did then. If anything, most of the people I know outside of teaching are putting in MORE time now than they did a decade ago. Sure, some occasionally work from home, but under normal circumstances that's kind of hard to manage with teaching. (Aside from distance learning. Some of the members here teach online; it's something you might consider.)

Education isn't a profession that is normally flexible as far as time goes. The school year start on a particular date, ends on another. School begins at a set time, and ends at another. Vacations are built into the calendar in February or March, as the next year's calendar is determined. Flexibility simply isn't normally a big part of the picture.

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Sep 16, 2011

We actually do have 2 current part-timers in my building in Math and English. I know my admin would love to have them full time to reduce class sizes but our district can't afford 2 full time teachers. I think due to budget cuts this might mean districts consider the possibility of hiring part-timers more often. Our 2 part-timers teach our remedition classes for students not passing state graduation test.

Good Luck

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2011

I did part time teaching twice. Once I taught three high school classes and one middle school class. Between my two part time positions, I still was not full time. I had four preps, more than any other teacher at either school.

The following year they needed me for one class only. I agreed to teach one class. They offered me a homebound position to make me full time.

We have very few part time jobs. Usually they are half time at two schools. It's rare to have part time jobs.