Manners Unit

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by ArizonaTeacher, Nov 9, 2006.

1. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Nov 9, 2006

I am putting together my lesson plan for a manners theme. If anyone has some arts and crafts ideas to share I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

3. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Nov 10, 2006

Read The Grouchy Ladybug and do a ladybug craft, there are tons.

Other good books that you could tie crafts into with:
    The Berenstain Bears Forget their Manners Manners, by Aliki.
    It's a Spoon, Not a Shovel, by Carolyn Buehner.
    Say Please by Virginia Austin
    Perfect Pigs: An Intro to Manners by Marc Brown and Stephen Krensky
    What Do You Say, Dear? and What Do You Do, Dear? by Sesyle Joslin
    Monster Manners by Bethany Roberts

Make placemats with paint stampings of spoon, fork and knife (or draw or cut/paste them) to remind them to use the appropriate item to eat as well as the placing of them on the table.

Create collages that have pictures of people using their manners vs not using them.

Puppets
    Need: small paper bags, marking pens, rubber cement, scissors, construction paper.

Directions: Using a small paper bag, make a sample puppet whose face expresses one of the basic emotions. Be Sure to give the puppet hands. Set materials on the table in the art area and invite the children to make their own Puppet. When the puppets are done you can use them to act out using good manners. Like covering our mouth when we sneeze or cough, saying please and Thank you, etc...

Cover Your nose & Mouth
    Need: Large paper plate, Popsicle stick, paper, facial tissues, markers, yarn

Directions: Trace the children's hands on construction paper and cut them out. Have the children make a face on the paper plate. Cut strips of paper to use as arms. Glue the hands to the strips and the strips to the plate. Now glue a tissue over the mouth and then glue the hands over the tissue. Talk with children about how important it is to covering your mouth and nose when you sneeze.

Lots of cute ideas (non craft, but good ones at this website) http://www.childfun.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=129

4. ArizonaTeacher

ArizonaTeacher Rookie

Nov 10, 2006

Great ideas! Thanks for your help!

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2006

Make a simple headband that they can decorate. Make some copies of feather shapes(should be easy to find now at T.giving time.) On each feather have manners words written, Please, Thank You, Excuse Me, I'm Sorry, etc. You could even write a title on the headband, like "I have good manners."