Manners.....how to get the messsage across

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by mabibleteacher, Sep 25, 2008.

1. mabibleteacher

mabibleteacher New Member

Sep 25, 2008

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to get Junior High kids to understand that speaking when someone else is talking or interrupting is rude? I just can't seem to get the message across. Sometime my lesson are like that laundry commercial with the talking stain....everytime I open my mouth, someone else is talking. I spend more time asking people to stop talking while I'm talking.

I'm running out of ideas and I'm close to issuing detentions.....

Any suggestions? :confused:

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Sep 25, 2008

I am having the same issue. They are just rude! Not only interrupting me, but one another all the time as well!

4. squaw1

squaw1 New Member

Sep 25, 2008

I just stop talking for a while and if it doesn't help I give them a short penalty test (5 mins) based on what I was saying when they were not listening.I don't know if you in the US have the same rules as we do in Poland.We can give them as many tests during one(45 mins ) lesson as we want to, what's more I always ask them at the blackboard if the test doesn't help,though it usually does so they stay quiet..It usually helps.

5. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Sep 25, 2008

I think that blurting out and talking while others are talking is a middle school syndrome. Last year it drove me crazy and I'd go home exhausted from trying to correct behavior. This year I'm trying to be more patient. Eventually, my students have corrected themselves. Sometimes it has taken longer than necessary, but if that is the case, I take it from their passing period.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 25, 2008

Stop talking, smile, and say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt."

Over and over, as many times as it takes. If it means a bit more homework to make up for the work you can't get to, oh well...

7. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 22, 2008

I never raise my voice or ask them to be quiet. When they are talking when I am, I simply stop talking and watch the clock. The class has 10 seconds to quiet down, or they owe me time when class ends. It sets a quiet tone for the class and keeps my stress level really low. If a student is trying to speak and the class isn't listening, I ask the student to wait, then watch the clock, and once it is quiet, have the student resume talking. It has worked great for me for 10 years!!

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 22, 2008

Its may not just be a problem with middle schoolers. I find that my upper elem. classes I sub for are like that too 4th and 5th are the worst. I did have a child(one who misbehaves) and I thought disliked me in 4th or
    5th I forgot say hey ms.--- in the hall yesturday! I said hello back. Made me feel good!

9. trina

trina Companion

Oct 23, 2008

I use Power Teaching techniques in my classroom, so when a student talks when he/she is not supposed to, I just say "Rule 2!" and the whole class has to say "Raise your hand for permission to speak" and do a gesture with their hand. It literally takes 3 seconds to say both things. Then even if right after the class says it the student talks, I just say it again. I have a class that is especially loud, so we have "Rule 2'd" up to 25 times in one class period. I simply kept on like a broken record. It helps me to quickly get the yakkers to shut up without taking the time to say "Devon, please turn around and stop talking" which inevitably turns into "But I wasn't talking" to which I reply "I saw you talking. I am not arguing with you." etc....

I also have a reward system with this class. When they are all on task and quiet, they get a point under a smiley face on the board. When they are talking, I put up a frownie point. At the end of the week they get free reading time instead of "official" literature class if they have more smiley points than frownie points. I can also do this in about 3 seconds- pick up the chalk, deliberately and loudly make a frownie mark, and put down the chalk. I will hear them all shhh each other and whisper to be quiet to one another.

10. cmw

cmw Groupie

Oct 24, 2008

OMG! I love that commercial. I laugh out loud everytime I hear it! Could you play the commerical for them & tell them they are like the stain? I will actually do it back to the students. When they raise their hand to ask a question or give an answer, do what they do. Then use it to discuss the issue. I have a couple classes like this so I'm curious about other ideas. :D

11. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Oct 24, 2008

I agree with alice...again. I'll use that line, or, if it's the whole class, I like the line "I'm talking, you're not". I just keep repeating myself until they get the point (thanks, Alice, btw, I learned that one from you a while back).

12. AF Mom

AF Mom Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

I do different things. If there are several talking, I will stop and wait until the kids start telling them to be quiet. Then I ask the talkers what I just said. Of course they don't know. If it is only a couple of kids, I will say, "Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt your conversation. I know how rude it is to interrupt. Please continue." It works for a while but they never really stop unless some type of punishment is involved.

13. kidsandpups

kidsandpups Companion

Oct 26, 2008

I've resorted back to the elementary system where the first time they talk without permission they get their name on the board. Second time = checkmark next to name. Third time = demerit. It has helped a lot.

14. waknren

waknren New Member

Nov 4, 2008

I do a variety of things. If it's only one or two talking, I will stop talking, stand there, and wait, usually while I am staring at them. If the other students don't know why I've stopped, they follow my eyes and quickly bring me to the attention of those who were talking.

If it's more than one or two, I will begin to write letters to form the words "Extra homework" or I will shout them out. The kids quickly understand that if they continue talking and I get to the end of the two words, they will have extra homework. I've only had to give extra homework to one class earlier in the school year, as word got out that I really DID give extra homework for it!

Later in the school year, around the third quarter, I switch it to "be quiet" (less letters) and do the same thing. The results are amazing!