Manicures, Facials, Massages, etc.

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by orangetea, Aug 23, 2013.

1. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2013

Has anyone else never gotten a manicure, pedicure, facial, or massage? Or anything else similar to that?

I was raised to think that spending money on things like these is too extravagant so I have never done this. My sister just came over and we were just talking about how she had also never gotten any of these done. Even for prom, my friends and I did hair and nails for each other...

I don't know if I'm just weird about this but besides the spending money on it, I hate it when people are doing things for me. It makes me uncomfortable, especially when older people are doing it.

3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 23, 2013

Me! One of my friends out here is a massage therapist and she's constantly telling me to go get one even if it's not in her office. I've been thinking about looking into something that would just be neck/shoulders...I carry SO much tension there and it often feels sore. I just can't imagine spending that much money on it. They always have groupons around here for massages, but they're only for brand new customers. Part of me is afraid I'd be hooked into then paying full price for more if I really like it, lol. It's definitely not something I could afford to do regularly...even once a month would be a stretch.

As far as manicures, I don't even bother to paint my own fingernails anymore because I work so much with my hands that they get messed up very quickly. I like having my toenails painted, but wouldn't want someone touching my feet so I do my own. I have no desire whatsoever to get a facial.

4. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Aug 23, 2013

I thought I was the only one!!

Orangetea, I was raised the same way as you, to view it as too extravagant. I don't care if other people want to do it, but I don't really like to spend money on stuff like that.

Like waterfall, I really hate having nail polish on my fingernails because it just chips off quickly. I sometimes paint my toenails, but I will NEVER get a pedicure - I really hate having my feet touched. I've never understood people getting foot rubs, etc. My feet are just insanely ticklish and I can't handle it.

Massages - no way. My husband will sometimes give me a LIGHT massage, but I have a very low tolerance and don't like them much. I never have. I remember my friends always wanted to rub my shoulders in high school (one of them is now a massage therapist, lol) and I just hated it. All my other friends loved it.

I can't see myself spending time at a spa - that is not my idea of fun.

I live in southern California, and these things are VERY normal here. I've always felt like kind of a freak because I don't like stuff like this. Nice to know I'm not alone. ;)

5. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 23, 2013

I've never gotten a massage or facial even though I would love to at some point.

I get pedicures regularly. I get ingrown toenails & my nail lady is an expert at getting them out. Plus, they have a huge color selection and for $22 I consider it $$ well spent.

I do my own manicures because I feel they look better when I do them myself but occasionally I will get one when I get a pedicure.

6. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

I had a manicure when I was sixteen. That's it.

The idea of others "serving" me in that way, especially through messages and pedicures, is extremely uncomfortable. I could do a manicure again, but I'm not at all interested. I can't imagine trying the rest.

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Aug 23, 2013

I love facials and pedicures. Massages are great, but it does take me a little while to feel comfortable. I've gotten a couple of massages and facials. Definitely not part of my beauty routine. I hate getting my nails done. I will occasionally grow them out and do them myself.

8. live

live Companion

Aug 23, 2013

I love manicures and pedicures.

I understand why people wouldn't feel the same though. There's not much to show for the amount of money you spend on a mani/pedi. Especially if painted nails aren't your thing. To me, it's just like paying for any other experience.

Also, I can't paint my nails by myself too well. When I use my left hand, the fingers on my right hand always look like I just dumped the bottle of nail polish on them! Either I get the help, or it looks like I painted my nails in the dark.

I've never gotten a massage or facial, though I want to.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 23, 2013

I get manicures and pedicures when I have time. I have sensory issues with nail files/buffers and just can't do it myself. It's all I can do to let someone else do it for me. I got a lot of massages when I was pregnant because I had terrible sciatic nerve pain. I luuuuuv them. I would love to start getting them again when we recover from the financial apocalypse of this move.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

I get a mani about every two weeks. Rarely a pedi.

I'll get a massage about two times per year. Rarely a facial as my skin is very sensitive to new products.

11. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

I go for a pedicure once a year, usually at the beginning of summer. I didn't go this year and missed it!

I go for a massage once a month. It's covered by my health insurance policy, so it's not a huge expense. It makes a big difference in my overall stress and health.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2013

Nice!:thumb:

13. bison

bison Habitué

Aug 24, 2013

I get my nails done once in a blue moon as a treat. Maybe once or twice a year outside of very special events. I like the massage part best! I also view it as an unnecessary luxury, and my polish chips too fast to do it regularly anyway. I've been thinking about getting a gel manicure to last through my shuffling papers at work.

I love massages, but I feel weird about strangers touching me so I don't get professional ones. I just have to convince BF to give them to me. :D I don't think a gentle back or hand massage from an SO is going to be damaging. Too ticklish for anywhere else!

14. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2013

I just got a gel manicure for the first time two weeks ago. It still looks good on the tips (no chips) and is shiny, but it is growing out too much. I play the ukulele a lot during class and that didn't even mess them up. I'm going back to get it removed tomorrow just because of how much they're growing out. I got hot pink, so it's pretty noticeable.

I've had a massage once, but didn't really like it. It was fine during, but I felt lightheaded after. I've never had a facial.

15. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 24, 2013

One mani/pedi - my daughter wanted to treat me for Mother's Day. I actually enjoyed them, but can't stand polish, I found out.

I am getting my husband a massage package for his birthday because he likes to split wood and haul dirt, etc, and his shoulders have been bothering him.

16. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2013

I wear solar (a type of acrylic) nails and they must be redone every three weeks so I get a mani/pedi every three weeks