Mandated Unit Assessments by District

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by newengltchr, Mar 9, 2015.

1. newengltchr

newengltchr Rookie

Mar 9, 2015

Poetry

How do you teach poetry to 9th and 10th grade students? Do you focus on interpretation and analysis? Terminology? Do you get into meter, rhyme, etc., or do you cover the other basics and enjoy it for what it is?

I'm having a difficult time trying to decide what to include and what not to include since there are aspects of poetry that I never studies (or heard of) before.

Thank you.

3. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2015

From looking at the title of your post, it looks like you have a mandated district assessment that includes poetry -- is that correct? If so, I would start by looking at the assessment and working backward. So, whatever is on the assessment, you need to include in your lessons.

I taught my own poetry unit in my English 10 class with no district assessment or curriculum to guide me, just the CC standards. I did a poetry walk assignment that worked really well: I printed out large-print texts of six related poems, glued them to giant sticky poster pages and had groups circulate around from poem to poem, marking their questions, comments, and other annotations. Then I had each group present one poem to the class. I thought it worked quite well!

I didn't give a formal "test" for the unit but instead had students create their own poems using a writer's workshop format. Their finished products were great!

PM me if you have questions or need more ideas :)