Managing two curiculum 4th/5th combo class?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by Bonjour, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Bonjour

Bonjour New Member

Aug 5, 2008

Hi, I am new to this forum and am so thankful to have found this site. I am teaching a 4th/5th combo class this year
    and would love to hear ideas, curiculums from everybody... I am in CA.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 5, 2008

Have you gotten any materials yet to get yourself familiarized with the 4th/5th curriculums?

4. mixedup1

mixedup1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2008

Hi. I teach a multiage classroom but I have 3rd/4th/5th graders. This is my third year teaching it. It can be quite challenging. I am fortunate to have a large selection of guided reading sets that I have my class using. I have times set up to teach math to each grade level. Writing/language arts skills are taught through writing workshop etc.

The way I have found that this works best is to cycle the curriculum especially in the areas of science and social studies.For Science and Social Studies I decide what themes I am doing for the year and then find as many hands-on activities as possible. I also try to balance the activities with some skill sheets which are usually from the textbooks. If the theme is from one grade level book but not the other then I have the kids take notes and will create a worksheet for them. Every two years I repeat my themes.

Thinking ahead...will you have any of these students next year? Since it is a 4/5 class you will want to think about what you teach this year and where you will go next year with your theme's. It's almost easier to take your curriculum and plan it out into a 2-year cycle. At least that's how it works for me. You'd be surprised how much objectives overlap (at least for 3/4/5 in Missouri).

5. teach57

teach57 Comrade

Aug 9, 2008

I teach in a 4/5 multiage classroom. Many of the things mixedup1 mentioned is what I do in my classroom. Check out the standards your are expected to teach at each grade level. You'll find a lot of them are similar especially in Reading and Language Arts.