MANAGING THE PAPER PILES

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by teaching4God, Sep 10, 2008.

1. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Sep 10, 2008

I literally get 20 new pieces of paper on my desk every day in addition to student papers to be graded. How do you manage it all. Everyone I ask says when you find out let me know. I know that it is not possible to get everything done, but there has to be a more effective way. Send me what works for you.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 10, 2008

I separate into "garbage" (and put it in the garbage), High-priority, needs-to-be-done and if-I-can-get-to-it. I have paper trays and depending on how important it is, I put it in a certain tray.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 10, 2008

I fill out whatever I can immediately and put the rest in a stack on my desk. Then I dedicate one day, one hour after school to knocking everything else off. If they want it faster than that, I tell them where to find it. And that I don't have time right now.

I bust my butt working during class and put in a lot of extra hours attending after school meetings that "are strongly encouraged" to attend. I don't have time for paperwork.

5. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Sep 12, 2008

The "paper" is frustrating for sure. One thing I do when the kids are returning paperwork- I tape a class list on a large manila envelope and put it near the check in table. Kids put their papers in and check themselves off. One quick glance and I know whose is missing.

6. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 12, 2008

I do not let myself get bogged down. Every sec on the day you can get small things accomplished.
    Papers to be graded, after they are graded leave by class period and let the students pass them out.
    To do papers from office take care of during planning time and before you leave school or during homeroom.
    Papers to be filed I have one of those pockets thingys and it hanging by my desk. I place papers to be file, blank forms, office referrals, papers for meetings, behavior logs, etc....

I also have trays for makeup work when I take roll the kids names go on their papers and the correct class period. The students know to come to their tray when they come back from an absence and they have to have it turned back in as soon as possible.

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Sep 12, 2008

I have a small file system for the really important stuff. Anything that needs to be done by a deadline or certain day of the week goes in a special folder that I must touch at least twice a week. Less important stuff stays on my desk so that I will keep seeing it until I take care of it. this is not the best system, but it works OK for me. Anything that can go in the round file is put there (or in the scrap paper basket) right away. Paper work is my nemesis, so I try to keep up with it so that it doesn't turn into some kind of monster taking over my desk and shelves.